What's new
What's new

Why do some horizontal mill arbors have key ways and some don't?

Shaybuilder

Cast Iron
I have some B&S #11 arbors without keys and some B&S #9 with keys and some cat40 without keys, why don't they put key ways in all arbors? It is hell to get a 6" cutter tight on a 1 1/4" arbor so it won't slip without a key. Is it because they may warp?

I haven't seen a good explanation of why this is, and like most operators of the machines in question, have a clear preference for the solid lockon of cutters on arbors with the keyway. I think if I had to guess the answer would involve the additional cost of manufacturing an arbor with a keyway.

-Marty-

Probably because not all cutters have key ways and it's cheaper to make arbors both ways then just having them all have keys. Lot of light duty home-made cutters and arbors are made without. I'd rather they all had them though.

My only other idea is that perhaps it used to be easier to grind key-less shafts so they went keyless when the chip-load was minimal but the tolerance was high? We actually have a long plain milling cutter without a key-way. It's got short teeth that kinda makes me think it was for finish cuts.

a 6" cutter on an 1-1/4" arbor................
i think maybe that's where the question should be.
machines designed for such cuts have at least a 50 taper, but also the provision to bolt the facemill
directly to the outside of the spindle face .

a 6" cutter on an 1-1/4" arbor................
i think maybe that's where the question should be.
machines designed for such cuts have at least a 50 taper, but also the provision to bolt the facemill
directly to the outside of the spindle face .
I'm a little confused by this comment - the OP appears to be talking about arbor-mounted horizontal mill cutters, I don't think there was any mention of facemills. Or am I missing something?

Not trying to be difficult - just curious

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back