Why is the engineering department closed when the mechanics come to town? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I'll bet your shop has a windsock out back for a bell jetranger….ugh
    Lol!!!

30 years ago, yes. Today, digital communications, rig floor to my computer at home. It's come a long ways from the old days. Now days, you have to be certified to set foot on any well location today. Much worse if you go offshore. Those days are way behind me!!!

Ken

Country
    NICARAGUA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some background on my original post. It was prompted by 2 seamingly identical jobs in my shop this week. 2 air brake abs modulator valves. One on an old 1999 motorcoach, and one on a newer coach, made after a total redesign of the flagship model. The old one was off on the bench for exchange of fittings, and back on the bus in 2 hours. Parts and labor $400.
    The other, more modern one, because of some design changes that probably made the bus cheaper to build, took 2 days, 3 trips to the parts house 40 miles away, and cost the customer $1000. For the same part failure. Thats progress!

3. Likes Joe Rogers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PocoLoco View Post
    ...cost the customer $1000. For the same part failure. Thats progress!
    That's design for manufacturability!

Side view mirror on a 1984 camry has a connector acessible at the mirror, when it needs replacing. My 2007 corolla
    has the connector inside the door panel!

Country
    NICARAGUA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dont get me started on doors, I hate working on doors. Its like you need arms with 7 elbows and skin made of kevlar.

6. Likes Joe Rogers, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Engineering is generally closed just to keep new items secret. Auto companies have a lot to keep secret from competitors. Iknow I could pick up a lot of data if I went on a tour that was supposed to be for dumb customers.... because I would know what I was looking at.

Autos are complex, and stupid stuff gets done. I have a 2019 ranger. I cannot fill the tank without having to do the last couple gallons a bit at a time, the nozzle shuts off after maybe a quarter gallon at a time unto finally the tan is full. Something about the fill pipe.

And the headlight switch was placed exactly where my knee may hit it as I get in the drivers seat... so the headlights may be set to some random mode, like "off", or to a setting where they do not automatically shut off, etc.

There are some more,all minor but stupid and annoying. That said, I like the way ot drives, and hated the other trucks I test drove

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

''Why is the engineering department closed when the mechanics come to town? ''

Because they don't want it proved they really are the wankers 99.99% of them are.

9. Likes atex57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    ''Why is the engineering department closed when the mechanics come to town? ''

Because they don't want it proved they really are the wankers 99.99% of them are.
    As few as that?

11. Likes Limy Sami, neilho liked this post
    Country
    NICARAGUA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the way electrical plugs on many vehicles are all different, so you cant put it together wrong. Just the kind of briliance I would like to see more of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFrank View Post
    The pilots in those 737 MAX aircraft that went down probably wished they were sitting in 707 cockpit.
    They probably wish they had better training!