What's new
What's new

Why filler on cast iron machines?

beeser

Cast Iron
Why is there so much filler on cast iron machines? The filler that I'm referring to is the stuff used to smooth out the roughness on castings.

Even if you managed to grind everything off you'd have to have some filler for the divots. So there's some happy place where the worst of the cast is ground down (sprues, risers, etc.) and filler is use to smooth the rest.

The filler is to compensate for rough casting surface. In the 19th and early 20th century many castings were polished smooth like a mirror. This obviously is too expensive today. Still, some of the filler today is way too thick and of poor quality.

The main reason is that castings are never perfect assuming unmachined surfaces. There are both external and INTERNAL flaws. Dig the blow hole in this Greaves Clusman cabinet leg.

Would you have the boys just paint over such things?

Attachments

• DCP_1405.jpg
    DCP_1405.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 307
John my hat's off to you, that looks like a heck of a project.

My brother had a GK lathe, big old beast. One gear internally was broken before he got it so he worked around a few speeds. Finally he sold it and the new owner enrolled in shop class to make a replacement gear I was told. I wonder how far he went to duplicate it as original.

Why is there so much filler on cast iron machines? The filler that I'm referring to is the stuff used to smooth out the roughness on castings.

when cast iron extra hot it tends to penetrate more the sand mold and leave a rough surface. common to use a thick epoxy type paint to smooth it.

Back