What's new
What's new

Why would a 3 flute countersink cost more than a single flute?

PegroProX440

Hot Rolled
A coworker of mine came to me today and asked my opinion on which carbide brazed countersink to buy. They were both made by Hertel and were found in the MSC catalog. I have not the slightest clue why the single flute is more expensive. Maybe they just have a larger quantity of 3 flute ones that they need to sell. Do you have any opinions?

Which one actually costs more? Your title implies that the 3 flute costs more but your post says the single flute costs more.

It takes more time to grind 3 flutes than it does to grind one flute. That is my answer if the 3 flute ones are more expensive.

Big B

A coworker of mine came to me today and asked my opinion on which carbide brazed countersink to buy. They were both made by M.A. Ford and were found in the MSC catalog. I have not the slightest clue why the single flute is more expensive. Maybe they just have a larger quantity of 3 flute ones that they need to sell. Do you have any opinions?

In my experience, the single flute countersinks work better (no chatter) and are easier to resharpen. So they are more valuable and I am willing to pay more to get them. I have dozens of them now and have no idea what the current price is.

Larry

Back