What's new
What's new

Widest plate to cut on a Rockford 36" open side shaper?

nwm

Plastic
Asking members with the knowledge of the Rockford 36-inch open side shaper/planer. It has a table width of 21.5" but the manual says that the tool can traverse 30" horizontally on the cross rail. Does it mean that it can cut 30"? Probably not. Would be greatly appreciated if one of you who used this machine could provide the information. Also, do you know the weight limit on the table? Manual doesn't mention anything about weight limit.

With all due respect, how is that rule relevant? I asked a functional, practical machining question about an American made 12,000 pound planer that I consider purchasing to use in my shop? Why on Earth would that be against any rule on Practical Machinist?

With all due respect, how is that rule relevant?

You'd have to ask Milacron. He owns the board. He's the one that said shaper discussions will be in the Antique forum only. That's what makes it relavant. Same as the rule for location. AFAIK, the USA no longer has any territories in the NW.

You'd have to ask Milacron. He owns the board. He's the one that said shaper discussions will be in the Antique forum only. That's what makes it relavant. Same as the rule for location. AFAIK, the USA no longer has any territories in the NW.

Except it isn't actually a shaper, it's a metal planer. Different animal entirely.

Nonetheless the question would be better asked in the Antique Machinery & History sub-forum where there are other owners of this machine.

PDW

Ok thank you. Will keep in mind the Antiques rule for the future. However, I can't move this so if anyone can answer my original post's question, that would be great help.

Back