What's new
What's new

Will positive clutch drive dogs on drill chuck interfere with R8 arbor?

Randalthor

Cast Iron
I was looking at a cheap Yukiwa chuck on Ebay.

YUKIWA DRILL CHUCK 3/16"-3/4" Capacity # 3 Jacobs Taper Mount F19KD | eBay

According to the seller, these chucks have a J3 taper, with a positive clutch drive. I'm not familiar with a positive clutch drive. I was wondering if I could use this chuck in a Bridgeport mill with a simple R8 X J3 arbor? Or would the dogs on the chuck prevent the arbor from seating in the chuck?

I posed this question to the seller, and all I got back was, "It is a positive clutch drive chuck.
Like the 36KD from Jacobs." Unfortunately, that answer doesn't help me. I'm wondering if I can use the chuck with a regular R8 X J3 arbor? Like this:

Drill Chuck Arbor | 63-4-276 | Travers Tool Co., Inc.

I think the seller is trying to pull somebodies leg with the positive clutch drive dogs thing.

It looks like it would fit my Black & Decker 3/4" drill.

Thank you for mentioning that. In the back of my mind, I wondered the same thing (that it's simply a chuck made for a hand drill with a clutch). What threw me off is that Yukiwa lists it in the same list as their industrial quality drill chucks.

Drill Chucks - Industrial Keyed Drill Chucks - YUKIWA SEIKO USA INC.

Yukiwa has been mentioned on PM a few times as a more inexpensive chuck with decent quality. That's why I was interested. It's Japanese, and I've had good luck with stuff from Japan.

I think I'll pass on this chuck. I do suspect it's made for a hand drill, but I wondered if there was some clutch mechanism which fit on the end of a mill or drill press, which I hadn't heard of. Sounds like that's not the case.

Thanks.

Last edited:
So I called Yukiwa and asked the max runout. He sent me a sheet which showed the max TIR is .004", measured at 1" from the end of their 1/4" chucks, and measured at 1-1/2" from the end of their larger chucks.

Their prices aren't bad. They cost b/t $75 and $100 for the larger plain bearing chucks. Under $50 for the smaller chucks.

I also called Rohm since they have been mentioned as a decent quality chuck on PM. The rep said their keyed plain bearing Prima chucks have 4 tenths max runout. He claimed their keyed ball bearing chucks also have max .0004" TIR. He said they measure at 1-1/2" from the end.

I did end up buying a Rohm chuck, but when I see that kind of concentricity, I'll believe it. I'll be thrilled if it holds to .001"

Anyway, I hadn't been able to find any of these stats on PM, so I thought it might be helpful to post them.

there is no drill chuck with 0.0004" runout and certainly not by röhm. my 10mm llambrich has 0.0012. and as far as i know, drill chucks are measured at 10x diameter.

So, I just wanted to report back.

I ended up getting the Rohm 5/8" chuck with a J3 taper. Using a llambich arbor, I got about 8 tenths runout. But this is up close to the chuck, not 1.5" from the chuck. I un-chucked and re-chucked the drill and got a little better.

I'm OK with what I got. I think if I were to measure another 1/5" down, it would perhaps double the runout (at most) probably less because the end of the chuck extends further from the spindle than 1.5". I don't have any round stock to measure the a precise distance 1.5" from the chuck.

My spindle measures a tenth or two runout, plus the runout of the arbor (which I checked at 5 tenths at the end) so I think the chuck is doing pretty well where it's at.

Of course this proves nothing of the quality of Rohm chucks. Perhaps mine was just a good one of many bad ones. I've read past PM posts where folks were sending Rohm chucks back because they had .008" runout (although overall I've read decent things about Rohm chucks-as for as medium grade chucks go).

Here are a couple pics of the high and low TIR readings measured up close to the jaws of the chuck. Each mark of the indicator is 5 tenths.

KIMG1168[1].jpg

KIMG1169[1].jpg

Actually as I review the pics, I think these are pics when I re-chucked the drill bit, or maybe I just misread the indicator the first time.. So it looks like it is about 3 tenths.

This is puzzling since the arbor itself measured measured 5 tenths at the end. But I noticed the arbor had a little different runout, depending on where I measured.

Either way, I'm satisfied with the overall conclusion. I know if I ever spin a drill in the chuck or otherwise abuse it, or as it wears, it won't be as good.

Back