What's new
What's new

Window replacement on CNC machine

masheenist

Plastic
The windows in the doors of my CNC machine are scratched and stained and almost usless.
What type of plastic are they made of?
Will I need special tools to replace them.
Anyone know for sure?

masheenist

The newer ones are high impact glass. Way nicer than the plastic ones, so you might look into that.
If not, go with Lexan. Lots of people will swear up and down that polycarb sheet and lexan are the same thing. Not even close, stay with genuine GE Lexan.

Most likely they are polycarbonate. IF not, then possibly cast acrylic. Be aware that acrylic, although considerably less expensive than acrylic is brittle and will shatter if hit by a flying part or tool whereas polycarb is much more ductile and tougher. FYI a common brand name for polycarb is Lexan (GE). If you need new rubber channel for it, McMaster-Carr has a good selection.

Lexan etc has a downside. If certain solvents get on it, you can then pretty much punch it out with your fist. Not sure what is in coolants, probably they are OK.

But the ideal would likely be Lexan on the outside, with a layer of PMMA sheet (acrylic / plexiglas / Lucite) on the inside.

Our windows are all the same and it's a pain.

The boss wondered if we can polish/buff the plastic clear. I'm inclined to agree this could work, because years ago I knew a fishing mad guy that started making his own lures, and he got the crystal clear surface by polishing while the lure was rotating.

My limited experience has been that I mostly look through the same part of the window all the time, so I suggested that if it's possible, we could mount a small secondary safety glass window in front of the main window. Of course not mounted directly on the main window, but with support arms that extend to the door frame.

I've prevented several tool crashes on the very first run of a new part, and a clear view is important to that.

Lexan etc has a downside. If certain solvents get on it, you can then pretty much punch it out with your fist. Not sure what is in coolants, probably they are OK.

Yeah clean a piar of polycarb safety glasses with some acetone and there fine they don’t dissolve, but drop them and they just fall apart, its really weird.

Polycarb is very prone to stress cracking if exposed to certain solvents. Like acetone.
Spot on, make them nice and cloudy, you can polish them, automotive cutting and polishing paste like 3m or farclar ( however its spelled, yellow bottle) and a buffer with a sponge, i used to use white, slightly harder, keep wet its suprising what you can polish out.
Changing them is trick or if youve corded in a windscreen not so bad, plenty of silicone spray and warm the rubber in a bucket of hot soapy water first, its a 2 man job, one to hold it if you dont have suckers and one to pull the gasket in.
If you fit new ones fit proper polycarb as mentioned there are several manufacturers of it, i beleive theres a scratch resistant i was told about, similar to spectacles, some coating.
We had a fair number of cncs, im sure the fanuc robodrills had glass, laminated triplex.
Ive gotten scratches out of them with a glass polishing kit off an auto supplier, even came with the buffer for a couple of hundred, it worked on my house windows (argon filled tripple glazed units arent cheap.)
Mark

Check with Ron's CNC. We buy all of our glass from them. They sell an incredibly durable and clear laminated machine safety glass. We buy all of our drives from the as well. They are very knowledgeable and friendly. They can answer any question you have.

Check with Ron's CNC. We buy all of our glass from them. They sell an incredibly durable and clear laminated machine safety glass. We buy all of our drives from the as well. They are very knowledgeable and friendly. They can answer any question you have.

All (4) threads have the same linky to "help you"

Is nothing but a spammer.
Thanks for the recommendation, they were about half the price of the OEM for our replacement window.

a year later ?

Back