What's new
What's new

Winona Van Norman boring mill CB 1401 Help please

rcn11thacr

Aluminum
If I am placing this in the wrong forum location please let me know.

I am looking for anyone that owns one of these machines that can lend me a hand. I recently purchased one used and the mill runs fine and makes great cuts. The problem I have is understanding the use of the micrometer fixture and tool cutter. I don’t understand how to use these and the directions are way to simple (or maybe I am?)
If I am taking .010 out of a cylinder and this micrometer is a direct read, I should be able to put in .010 ( the directions say there is no need to use any math). That makes no sense to me since you obviously are only taking half of that per side.
Anyway, even if I do it both ways my practice cylinder still comes out at the wrong dimensions. If someone owns one of these and would PM me and be willing to talk about this, I would very much appreciate the help. Thank you.

Don't have specific info on your machine but i own a Berco cylinder boring machine and have some knowledge on setting the tools...

Your observation on the micrometer setting half of the actual material removed is correct, however the setting micrometers are made to read double what they actually move, so with your .010" setting
The actual micrometer movement is actually .005"
You cam verify this by checking with shim stock, feeler gauges or a test indicator....

As to not boring to size...gauges need to be calibrated....There is a way to change the tool position without moving the micrometer.....Usually a set screw of clamp...
On the Berco the tool holders are precision ground to length, but there is an adjusting screw on the boring bar head that adjusts the nesting position of the tool holder in that head....Allows adjustment for
different heads/bars....
There is also an adjustable stop on the tool setting fixture...can be moved (set screw) so that the tools will cut to the set size....
Other settings could also be the micrometer itself....Make the micrometer setting match the bored size....Tool condition will affect the bore produced..Size and finish....Dull tool= small hole
Cheers Ross

Back