Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Are wire brush belts a thing?

I was thinking about this the other day... I use an 8" brass wire wheel all the time. Great for contours and stuff like that - not so much flat parts. Can I get a wire brush belt for a belt grinder? A wire brush on a 4" belt grinder with a large flat platen would be really convenient for cleaning up some of the stuff I work on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's an interesting question! A non-woven belt is probably going to be a lot easier to find. I had the card potion of a file card come unglued once, and once I started flexing the material the wires quickly got all messed up and started either falling out or flattening down. But I don't see why someone clever couldn't make a version that worked, especially if you were willing to settle for synthetic "wires".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sfriedberg View Post
    That's an interesting question! A non-woven belt is probably going to be a lot easier to find. I had the card potion of a file card come unglued once, and once I started flexing the material the wires quickly got all messed up and started either falling out or flattening down. But I don't see why someone clever couldn't make a version that worked, especially if you were willing to settle for synthetic "wires".
    I've seen "belts" (wheels?) that were made of some sort of plastic (I guess) that had U shaped pieces of wire either punched through them or molded into them. They were used for some sort or rotary tool for removing paint, glue residue, etc. I think they pressed onto a wheel and were driven like a regular wire wheel.

It really would be nice to have a 4" wide wire brush on a (few thousand SFM) belt sander. It'd last WAY longer than a scotch brite belt for deburring, too. Usually I'm all about making tools myself, but this seems a "bit" tedious.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a picture from a Snap-On catalog. Notice that the wire brushes aren't round.... pretty sure the wires are situated in some sort of flexible medium.