What's new
What's new

Wiring a Gemco Shaper

jbacc

Hot Rolled
Good afternoon, all,

I posted this in the antique forum and I hope I am not in violation of any rules but since part of my question is related to wiring, I hope it's acceptable for me to post here as well:

Good afternoon, all,

I have had the shaper bug for quite some time and it looks like I finally hit pay dirt a few states away from home. It's a 20" Standard Duty Gemco shaper. It's been sitting for quite a number of years so there is surface rust but it looks to be in pretty good shape. The very nice and extremely patient seller kept holding off pressure from his boss to scrap it so I am happy to save it.

It looks like it has a separate rapid traverse motor so I'm thinking it's an older model. I guess my big challenge an the reason for my post is it is wired for 3 phase 480 volts and I only have 3 phase 240 at home.

Looking for some advice on how to deal with it. If it's a dual voltage motor which I believe it is, I guess rewiring is the way to go but how would the rapid traverse motor be affected? Does that need to be rewired too or are there step down transformers that enable it to work on 3 phase 240? Would I need to replace the start contactor?

Also, reading some of the documentation I found online regarding Gemco Shapers, they refer to a "special pin" needed to override the Lubriguard to make certain adjustments. Does anyone know what this special pin looks like and it's dimensions?

As always, I am most grateful to those so willing to share their knowledge and experience to help people like yours truly...

Thank you.

Joe

Gemco 20 standard Shaper.jpg

Motor "recconnecting" is a simple way of dealing with improper voltage - but has less noticeable requirements like needing "heaters" (thermal overloads) which deal with double the amps as you halve the voltage

"Reconnecting" is usually done in the connection box on the motor itself - and there are often info tags riveted to motor that explain this

There are also General Purpose Dry Type Three Phase transformers to deal with this. Some makers - like ACME - will approve using a step down as a step up. I have one of those that has never had any issues after being installed new in 2003

The transformer maker will also have something to say about what size a transformer is needed. My ACME is a 3KVA and runs a 440 only four speed motor with a maximum HP of 1 1/2

Motor "recconnecting" is a simple way of dealing with improper voltage - but has less noticeable requirements like needing "heaters" (thermal overloads) which deal with double the amps as you halve the voltage

"Reconnecting" is usually done in the connection box on the motor itself - and there are often info tags riveted to motor that explain this

There are also General Purpose Dry Type Three Phase transformers to deal with this. Some makers - like ACME - will approve using a step down as a step up. I have one of those that has never had any issues after being installed new in 2003

The transformer maker will also have something to say about what size a transformer is needed. My ACME is a 3KVA and runs a 440 only four speed motor with a maximum HP of 1 1/2

John, as always, you are a gentleman and a scholar and I appreciate your guidance. Do doubt, once I bring the shaper home, I will be tapping into yours and many others on this forum's knowledge base.

Thank you.

Joe

Back