What's new
What's new

Wohlhaupter boring/facing head shanks. Are they all removable?

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
There's a guy near me with one of these UPA heads for sale but it has the wrong shank for my use. Any of you fellas know if they are all removable or are some integral shanks?

Which UPA? The larger (4 and up) are more likely to be removable. There are some UPA3 with removable shanks. They have a red dot near the shank, but I don't remember exactly where. I'll try to look when I get to the shop.

I don't think size dictates that, I've seen 3 with removable shank, and I have #4 with MT4 shank myself

you might get in idea if it is removable from markings on the head, see the pic below, this one has the inegral MT3 shank - Mo.3xM12 engraving points to that, I'm not sure how the removable ones are marked and can't seem to google up a picture showing one either

wohlhaupter-upa3-universal-automatic-boring-and-fa.jpg

There will be a red dot on the removable ones......you can machine the shank if it's not removable to a straight shank depending on what shank you have?

Wally Fixture #1.jpgWall Fixture #2.jpg

This one had a Moore shank, machined it down to a .625 straight shank!

Kevin

Often the non removable shank models go dirt cheap, and that is when you put your machinist hat on, and cut the useless shank off, and thread the head for what you need.
Like so with this UPA5,
GJRlMvl.jpg

I was thinking that myself... But I was hoping for a NMTB30 integral, haha. I could always just cut and thread it for an NMTB shank with a male thread I suppose. What size is best for a mill about Wells Index 847 sized? The local one is UPA3.

i have an upa3 with a mt4 shank. it has an 40 taper adapter on it, without any set screw. it has seen some heavy use without problems.

If you're cutting and threading, look at their differential thread scheme they use for detachable shanks. Only a little more work and secure for CCW rotation.

I bought a UPA3 with no shank a year or two ago, bought an R8 blank and put them together. Well, there is the stud with the two threads and a hex socket, but what's that between machinists?

My usual boring head is a nice UPA3. Use it on my FP4NC (Deckel) almost always. Has a straight 1" shank made from an original Morse setup (non removable).

I have a very short (single set screw) Welden style holder that carries the boring head and consumes little head room...

On the off occasion that i need the boring head on my manual FP2 or FP3 Deckel i simply take the head out of the CAT 40 holder and slip the 1" shank into a Deckel direct mounted 40 taper collet.
In this case the head becomes universal...never had any issues with accuracy or rigidity using this setup....
Cheers Ross

It seems there is alot of these with a Morse taper shank? I have always wondered what machines you would use these heads on?

Jig boring machines quite often used the Morse taper....often with specialized draw bars such as the Moore jig boring machine, etc.For jig boring machines where the primary purpose was the production of holes ,
the Morse spindle was a natural...allowing the direct use of taper shank drills and reamers....A Morse taper shank boring head was then the natural compliment.
Horizontal boring mills were in times past built almost always with Morse taper spindles...not till later machines did the 40 and 50 taper spindle become the norm...

A number of euro mills started out with Morse spindles Maho, and Deckel to name a few...Even with the advent of the 40 taper spindles Deckel for example sold the UPA3 with the #4 Morse integral
shank complete with an adapter as standard kit to fit 40 taper spindles on the FP2 and FP3 machines.....After all the "Wally" heads are German...

Cheers Ross

I haven't been around any European mills, and I have seen some Moore jig bores with the Moore taper. All the mills I have used had R8, straight shank, or the 30 or 40 taper shanks? I just thought it strange a boring head would have a shank I've only seen on drill presses?

Has a straight 1" shank made from an original Morse setup (non removable).

Ross,

I'm considering doing the same with one of a UPA3 or a Kuroda Japanese copy I got recently. How long did you keep the 1" shank for your application?

Jacques

By his description I'll betcha he made it just long enough to get past that screw in the 1" Weldon shank holder and extend a little past that point.

Hi every one!i really need help with a upa5 s6 model,im going mad trying to figure out what to do with this boring head,i can only assume that mine has not removable shank but this is the situation i have in front of me at the moment
20211109_181901_resized.jpg20211109_181913_resized.jpg20211109_181930_resized.jpg20211109_181957_resized.jpg

from the 1st pictures thats what i found,i couldn't find any model with an r8 shank so i assumed that was modified by the previous owner, i couldn't find the bolt to release the shank when i saw a small space where i could see a silver solder so i had the brilliant i dea to cut exactly there expecting to find the famous left handed threading bolt but unfortunately i did not found it,but still i found that the shank its threaded on something but i don't know where and how,so im afraid if i try to screw or unscrew in order to release it im gonna break something since ni don't know what type of attachment is and the direction to unscrew it.can somebody help me to find out what type of connections is the one on the picture and how can be disassembled?

Hi every one!i really need help with a upa5 s6 model,im going mad trying to figure out what to do with this boring head,i can only assume that mine has not removable shank but this is the situation i have in front of me at the moment
View attachment 334076View attachment 334077View attachment 334078View attachment 334079

from the 1st pictures thats what i found,i couldn't find any model with an r8 shank so i assumed that was modified by the previous owner, i couldn't find the bolt to release the shank when i saw a small space where i could see a silver solder so i had the brilliant i dea to cut exactly there expecting to find the famous left handed threading bolt but unfortunately i did not found it,but still i found that the shank its threaded on something but i don't know where and how,so im afraid if i try to screw or unscrew in order to release it im gonna break something since ni don't know what type of attachment is and the direction to unscrew it.can somebody help me to find out what type of connections is the one on the picture and how can be disassembled?

How big is the hole down the center where it's cut, hard to tell from the pictures?

If you can see down the hole, look for a hex socket at the bottom, that's the differential screw if it has one.......IIRC, the hex may be 8mm?

The differential screw is fairly short, 25-30mm's if I had to guess?

Kevin

I successfully modified my UPA4 from a fixed #4 morse taper shank by cutting the shank completely off and machining the body of the head to Wohlhaupter specifications to accept interchangeable shanks.The video in post #4 shows the actual head that I modified, I made that video years ago to show the procedure for changing these shanks as there was and still is some confusion as to how they are attached.

Wohlhaupter Drilling.jpg

Wohlhaupter Threading.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Kevin,the 1st pictures is the shank before I cut off that small piece,and the hole is blind ,I'd say is m12 or m14 maybe so after seen that tiny silver solder part I cut it off assuming that the r8 shank was hand made by the previous owner and just underneath the blind hole I would have found the famous differential screw,but unfortunately I was wrong but still you can clearly see there is the outer shell threaded or press fitted on a smaller inner shank of roughly 12mm,now I would like to try to unscrew the the outer shank to release it from the inner one but since I don't know how is built I'm afraid to break some security pin or the head itself,I don't even know in which way I have to unscrew it since its different from any other model if this boring head I ever seen before,it would be great to have a technical draw of the model upa5 s6 boring head at the least to find out how is connected the shank on the body

Back