What's new
What's new

Wollhaupter upa3 mo4x s20x2 integrated shank or not

cupra

Plastic
I Know this subject had been already covered.
The reason i am opening a new thread is because i just bought off ebay a upa3 2140002011 with morse 4 deckel shank (mo4 x s20 x 2) and i am comfused if it has an integrated shank or not.
Seller said that the shank is interchangable but from my google search and over the practical machinist similar threads i only read that this is an old type upa3 that is one piece with the shank .
I dont see any hole in the upper side of the shank so there is no hex bolt to loosen the shank like on the newer versions .
The reason i am not sure is that i can see a taper between the shank and the main body of the boring head .
Is there any posibility to remove the shank with wedges like we do on drill chuck with jacobs taper ?Do you know if wollhaupter ever made such a removable shank ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• DSC_2040.jpg
    DSC_2040.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_2041.jpg
    DSC_2041.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_2044.jpg
    DSC_2044.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 98
I've heard that some shanks are pulled tight with a central coarse/fine thread stud, if yours has this it should have a hex socket down in the shank hole hidden from sight. I've never had such luck, and have been stuck with the shank issued.
Wohlhaupter is still in business, you may be able to ask them.
Home

I have never seen that particular configuration but it looks like it should be an integrated MT4 taper with S20x2 pullstud for deckel which someone has put a short sleeved MT4->ISO40 taper adapter onto. Look more caerfully around the iso40 taper and maybe you see some hints, if so try to to tap it gently but distinctly in suitable direction, possible apply high heat for a short period to out outer surface, fast and forcefully enough so it expands slightly before the heat reaches into the mt4 shank.

That head was standard "kit" offered for Deckel mills....
#4 Morse shank with an adapter to fit #40 taper...also standard Deckel.(FP2 or FP3)
The draw bar thread, 20x2.0 "Buttress" is standard Deckel....
The shank and thread are integral, not removable...

The interchangeable shank heads do not have any notation on the head body as to shank or thread.Just the model type and a serial number..And they look a bit different where the shank couples to the body...

If that head won't work for your machine, perhaps you could offer it for sale over on the Deckel forum...
Cheers Ross

Thanks for your replies

#4 Morse shank with an adapter to fit #40 taper

Ross sorry not sure if i undestood ... if it is a mt4 shank integrated then if i remove the iso40 adapter it will work for me becuase my mill has mt4 spindle .

Problem solved:)
As you alreary mention guys it is an iso40 adapter compressed to the mt4 shank .
It was an easy job to remove it applying heat and tap it with a wedge .
Next step ... cut the upper section with the m20 x 2 thread.... drill and tap a m16 thread to fit my mt4 x 16 spindle and draw bar of my mill .
Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• DSC_2055.jpg
    DSC_2055.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_2056.jpg
    DSC_2056.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 73

Back