What's new
What's new

Words of CNC wisdom at 2:19 AM

If the CNC mill wrecks your part it is because you told it to wreck your part. CNCs do exactly as you tell them. If you edit the program and forget to allow for the tool offset your part will be ruined and it is not the machine's fault!

...if you neglect to properly tighten the vise, also your fault.

But, man do 1/2" endmills make cool $50 object launchers!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

2" Shearhog @10,000 rpm, rapids set to 25% to cut some air before running a part. Cutter ends up -X by 2". No problem as rapids are 25% But the Z plunge is at feed and this is an aluminum part. It was over 3 years later when I found that set up block of steel. About 50 feet away. Shearhog did not do well with that.
I have had other bad things happen at that hour.

I think it is strange that they know how to wreck the whole setup on part number 998 on a run of 1000 when you need every part as it is some special customer supplied casting or the like.

I'm not disagreeing, but this sort of reminds me of the olden days when computers were first being born. It was a common thing to hear a person espouse 'the machine only does what you tell it! Garbage in, garbage out!'

This sort of wisdom was the sure path to being a genius. If you recited it, it instantly made you smarter than everyone else in the room.

But, the decades since have surely (and sadly) proven that machines do in fact screw up all on their own. Computers are probably the worst of all. They look fine, but lose their shit without warning or recourse. Every person here has had a PC do something it shouldn't, all on its own.

I tell you guys, the AI revolution has begun! :willy_nilly:

We've just seen the start. They will soon be reproducing.............

Some years back while I was building my shop building I was up on a ladder doing something when a friend showed up. I climbed down to chat with him and as we started to talk my quadrunner started to squeek and move back and forth a bit so we walked over to see what was up. My wife's potbelly pig had a mouthfull of the fender flair, his front legs up on the top of the tire and was giving it to the tire with all he had, without missing a beat my 78 year old friend says "I don't know exactly what will come of this, but want pick of the litter"

If the CNC mill wrecks your part it is because you told it to wreck your part. CNCs do exactly as you tell them. If you edit the program and forget to allow for the tool offset your part will be ruined and it is not the machine's fault!

Yes very true even if your shop only uses hot shot programmers still check your program run the graphics and slow down your test/first run with the rapid way down. Using cheap material for the first part is wise.

Edit accordingly and carefully. Take time to recheck your input.

And just be Cool.

I'm not disagreeing, but this sort of reminds me of the olden days when computers were first being born. It was a common thing to hear a person espouse 'the machine only does what you tell it! Garbage in, garbage out!'

This sort of wisdom was the sure path to being a genius. If you recited it, it instantly made you smarter than everyone else in the room.

But, the decades since have surely (and sadly) proven that machines do in fact screw up all on their own. Computers are probably the worst of all. They look fine, but lose their shit without warning or recourse. Every person here has had a PC do something it shouldn't, all on its own.

After a bad crash never say “Everything ran just fine on the computer screen I don’t know why it was not caught by the software.”

I find that throwing things around the shop makes the pain go away...

That's the mother effer tool.

The mother effer tool is whichever tool is closest that you can grab and throw across the shop as hard as you can, while yelling "MOTHER EFFER"

It's also generally the next tool you will need.

Back