What's new
What's new

Worm gear question

Deadalus

Plastic
Hi all,
As im more a lathe person, but i have an old tos universal mill and i was asked to do a gear for the hand adjuster of a drill press.
The older gear had the tooths all broke and i took measure the best i could.
Everything good except that the gear need to go 3 mm towards the worm because its sitting on top of a slot.
My question is should i make a 45 degree angle.in the teeth or lower the diameter of them.
20210119_180055.jpg
20210119_180047.jpg
Thanks in advance

I don't understand the question. You mean you want to move the gear 3mm along its shaft? Or you want to change the center to center distance with the worm? What 45 degree angle?

That replacement gear has straight cut teeth? The worm gear should have radiused teeth and they are supposed to be at an angle. Is this just a "quickly make something that works" job?

And yeah, need some more elaboration on what you're asking exactly.

Its needs to move on the shaft 3mm.
Thats the thing...
The tooths are straight and by the damaged one i cant figure one the edge of the tooth if they are straight or have some kind of angle...
This in not a critical piece, just need to know where to cut so is goes inwards as need in the shaft.

Look at how the teeth were cut on original piece, they were not straight cut. On the part you made, what is with the funky profile of the teeth, it looks like you tried to copy the wear in the original part?

I agree with eKretz from the wear pattern it like their maybe too much lash or the pitch is off. I am still not really clear on the setup with the other gear. Can you get pic or two of the worm gear that this is supposed to mesh with. Maybe a side each so we can get a better idea of what is going askew.

5he "original" part is not so original and i took some time looking at it and the teeth are straight on an angle and the edge was machined a downstep in the diameter.
The place that seems worn down are in reality machined.
Some of the tooths broke and thats why it failed,
Its a macgyver stuff and ill try my best to make it work with this one ive made, in last resource ill make a tool and make it the proper way.
Thanks for your help

Just to leave a closure to this one and thanks to all.
I made a 45° angle and it worked....
Just leave a photo because im not a milling guy but is a bit strange this gear...

20210125_101447.jpg
20210125_101214.jpg

Yes that is an odd duck. Looks like they took a worm gear and just carved it up however they pleased to get around some obstacles or something.

Back