What's new
What's new

Would like advice on a CNC lathe / turning center

ecdez

Plastic
I've been on my own now for 3 years and finally at the end of this year I'll have some money that needs to be spent (for tax purposes). One thing I don't have is a CNC lathe or turning center. I've bought 1 used CNC machine before and it turned out to be a real lemon. Mostly my fault as I didn't do diligent homework on the front end but the seller was a little misleading as well. Since then I've been scared to buy a used CNC. Is it a well founded fear? Should I just bite the bullet and go new?

Best new fit for me seems to be a Haas TL-1, based on size and price. If I can get a used machine, of any brand, for a fraction of the cost should I even consider it? I'm not an electrical engineer but I'm not the average dummy either. Probably slight above the average dummy :). I know all machines go down at some point but some are easier to service than others. Is there something to stay away from?

Anyway, requirements are;

Light production work; probably just 5-6 of the same part at a time.

Biggest thing I'd currently like to make is about 7"d x 3" long but most of the other stuff is 2.5"d and under and around 6"-10" long.

Space is an issue in my shop.

I have single phase power but a 15hp rotary PC.

Budget - I'm a 1 man shop and money is tight every week but I have a contract that wraps up soon that will leave me with a few extra to spend. Just enough to ruin my comfy tax filing status.

Any thoughts? Any considerations I left out?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have used this lathe a lot and found it very good. I heard they are in demand for used machines.

I've had good luck with Haas
there phone support is generally solid
there repair parts cost less than Fanuc and Mitsubishi (mazak)
and there construction is often brilliantly simple.
they are NOT balls out metal munchers. if that's what you need look elsewhere.
if what you need is mom and pop cnc they are good machines

Good to know, thanks.

I don't need a metal muncher. I'm not a job shop or have high production requirements. I typically only make things of my own design to sell online. A few exceptions of course when a good opportunity comes along ;). I've been paying the bills with just a mill but now have several things I'd like to design and make that require turned parts. If I can load a blank and a program, hit start and come back 30 minutes later to a finished or mostly finished part than I'll be happy. Probably only make 4-5 parts a day.

We have a TL-2, bought new, and it is not so great. Nothing wrong with it mechanically or software, but as a cnc lathe it is not too good. If you have the budget, and don't need the Z axis length for turning longer shafts I would highly recommend going to an ST20 model. Just my 2 cents.

Haas TL lathes suck. Gimmicky anodized Al/hammertone painted handwheels that are great for whacking the operator in the delicate bits. Tailstocks are a joke. They must have UHMW gibs because the locking handle tightens to a different spot every time. You can see the carriage cock over with a heavy cut. Squeaky belts, Hass-powered spindles, lame linear rails on a lathe, grease everywhere, chip evac sucks, no enclosure, coolant drips down the front castings... The only saving grace is you’ll recoup the majority of the purchase price when sending it down the road due to the Haas fanboys painting everything with the same brush.

Get anything else with similar swing and a complete set of manuals/parameters.

Haas TL lathes suck. Gimmicky anodized Al/hammertone painted handwheels that are great for whacking the operator in the delicate bits. Tailstocks are a joke. They must have UHMW gibs because the locking handle tightens to a different spot every time. You can see the carriage cock over with a heavy cut. Squeaky belts, Hass-powered spindles, lame linear rails on a lathe, grease everywhere, chip evac sucks, no enclosure, coolant drips down the front castings... The only saving grace is you’ll recoup the majority of the purchase price when sending it down the road due to the Haas fanboys painting everything with the same brush.

Get anything else with similar swing and a complete set of manuals/parameters.

Or the Haas haters. :rolleyes5: Ignore this ^ and look for yourself.

Toolroom Lathes

The old TL series had no enclosures and hand-wheels. The new ones have semi-full enclosure, minus the back end. We don't have a coolant problem with ours.

Or the Haas haters. :rolleyes5: Ignore this ^ and look for yourself.

Toolroom Lathes

The old TL series had no enclosures and hand-wheels. The new ones have semi-full enclosure, minus the back end. We don't have a coolant problem with ours.

Haas Fanboy identified. Never said there was anything inherently wrong with their mills, but their TL lathes suck. Fanboys will fawn over everything they produce though- emotion clouds judgement that way.

Like I said, purchase a new one, you’ll make out okay on resale. But I’m not going to tell you with the experience I have on these lathes that they’re anything worth using. You’re undoubtably capable of coming up with a decision yourself given sufficient evidence I’d imagine, ^ thought police not withstanding.

Romi.................Real flat bed lathe with real ways....Real tail stock with a proper cam lock clamp..
Have an M17 and love it...Easy as a manual to run, dead reliable....Makes good parts, full enclosure,Great fit and finish.
Looked at the TL's when i decided on the Romi....Not really in the same league.
Cheers Ross

" Not really in the same league."

neither is a mazak or a mori

his question was about a haas for a light duty cnc

What does a "light duty" lathe part look like that is 7" by 3"?

In my mind a lathe to make a part that size better have at least 15HP. 30 or 40 would be better.

Lathes aren't as flexible as CNC mills are. Choose the right one and it's probably not a Haas.

40 horse?
not sure his 15 hp rpc will pull that

Nope. It won't even run a 10HP lathe. I guess that leaves Haas LOL.

I'm gearing up to make parts that are donuts from 7" 1045. I'm going to run them on my Leadwell. It has a 65 KW spindle motor.

Nope. It won't even run a 10HP lathe. I guess that leaves Haas LOL.

I'm gearing up to make parts that are donuts from 7" 1045. I'm going to run them on my Leadwell. It has a 65 KW spindle motor.

Not sure if you were making a joke there or being serious.

I'm Curios about what machine you are talking about. One of the companies I contract for here in Asia is Leadwell Taichung and the largest spindle drive we offer is 55 KW / 75 HP on the LTC-65. And if that's the case,,, Why would you use a machine with a 21" chuck and a 14" spindle bore to make a 7" part?

Back