What's new
What's new

WTF...a backplate costs almost as much as a chuck??

implmex

Diamond
Good morning All:
So I decided this morning to invest in a new collet chuck for the Monarch 10EE.
I've got a Sjogren 2J that came with the machine but it's worn out and collets are hard to get for it.
The handwheel rattles when I run it and it's noisy and I hate it and it's time!:angry:

I call KBC.
A new bison Set Tru plain back is about 800 bucks Canadian.
Ouch, but I can live with it!

But get this; a D1-3 backplate for it is over 550 bucks.
Holy shit...that's pretty rich for a backplate.

Fortunately I have a couple of old ones that can be modified to fit the Bison; I just have to pick the one I prefer to modify.

I can remember the day (yeah, it's an old people thing) when a backplate was 110 bucks.
Good thing I asked about the price before I opened my wallet!

We don't charge enough!!

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

You got a pretty good deal on the chuck. About 900 USD here. I just bought a Bison D1-4 6" backplate for 340 USD so the chuck is low and the backplate high in comparison. TMX plates interchange and are priced about $75 lower. The Bison seem to be slightly higher quality but that might be irrelevant for a set tru plate. The set tru like buying a Cadillac SUV vs a Suburban. The upcharge is about twice for what you get but set tru is really sweet. Dave

Price depends on steel vs cast, two piece jaws, etc. I was looking at forged steel two piece for my 900 range. I just found a NOS 6 jaw set tru for that price so some deals are out there. I'd have been happy with a four jaw but the deal on the six too good. Dave

I hated the Bison collet chuck. Very fine scroll takes too much time to change collets. Sold mine with BP for 300 I think

Sorry, I missed the part about the 2J chuck and was comparing 6" chucks. Sometimes you can find a Sjogren, Atlas, Pratt style chuck for a decent price in the US on ebay, CL or FB mktplace. I'd be interested in your take of the bison when you use it some. Dave

Welcome to 2021. It sucks. :bawling:

I don't even bother looking for back plates any more, instead I buy thick rounds of steel plate (offcuts, drop-offs) and make my own. Even with my time, it's still far cheaper.

I bought a KMC backplate D1-6 a while back...it was around $350. But what got me was when it showed up it had a bunch of scratches/burrs on the bore and chamfer area. I had to stone them out. I am 100% sure they weren't shipping related, either.

Back