What's new
What's new

X,Y table needed

Matt_50

Aluminum
I need recommendations for a x,y table.

I am not milling metal. This is for wood.

What I'm doing is cutting small mortises in my hand saw handles to hold my brass backs. Depending on the brass size these differ slightly and the bits I'm using are very small. Mortises are an inch long and up to an inch deep. Width differs a little.

Current set up works quite well for 1/4 inch backs. Slightly smaller one require a bit that is shorter so I need a change. Currently I use a horizontally mounted router and slide the handle on its side and do this in 4 passes increasing depth each time.

I'm changing my setup a bit and I want a X,Y table for better control. A table to lay handle flat on, clamp it, and run it in and across the fixed router.

Budget $200.

Attachments

• received_473727106990451.jpg
    received_473727106990451.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20201206_170802.jpg
    20201206_170802.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 110
I think your best bet is getting something second hand like a pantograph and butchering it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ignore the naysayers.
However it is better to ask woodworking related Q's in the wood section. The owner of this forum frowns heavily on mentions of low level/hobby level tools and gadgets. They are tolerated in wood for woodworking purposes of an interesting or commercial nature.

For wood, if you adjust all the slop out of it, one of these should be more than adequate.
No comment on vendor, these are all over eBay & other sources. Just an example:

Compound Milling Machine Work Table 2 Axis Cross Slide Bench Drill Vis

– Vevor US

It probably will be necessary to fit, fettle, and adjust it but should serve the specified purpose.

Depending on the orientation of your router, for a single purpose machine, even one of the larger import cross slide vises would probably work for your short travel app.

Good luck with the back saws!
At one point i was involved with a maker and ground some (experimental) tapered plate blanks.

smt

Thank you,

I found a very long and boring review of that table on you tube. Running it with a dial indicator, lots of measurements, assembly. For what I need I ordered it. I figure if I can get awesome results with a crude hand slid wooden quick setup, this can give me faster and at least the same results.

Thank you again guys. This forum has been very helpful. I made several brass saw backs recently because of the advice here on making the tools I needed for my hydraulic press.

Was that just with metal? ...........I only ask as wood is a completely different ball game.

Metal, the first time was on a drill press it was being used to drill holes, this was the best experience. second time was milling plastic. The last time I touched one I was modifying it to be the z and x axis on a prototype machine. The 1 I modified had plastic gibs.

I need recommendations for a x,y table.

I am not milling metal. This is for wood.

What I'm doing is cutting small mortises in my hand saw handles to hold my brass backs. Depending on the brass size these differ slightly and the bits I'm using are very small. Mortises are an inch long and up to an inch deep. Width differs a little.

Current set up works quite well for 1/4 inch backs. Slightly smaller one require a bit that is shorter so I need a change. Currently I use a horizontally mounted router and slide the handle on its side and do this in 4 passes increasing depth each time.

I'm changing my setup a bit and I want a X,Y table for better control. A table to lay handle flat on, clamp it, and run it in and across the fixed router.

Budget $200.

a router table is still your best bet. put up a fence and stops and slide it in. no easy way to do full depth without breaking it.

For woodworking where the tool forces are less than for metalworking and where less precision is acceptable I suggest something like this:

Heavy Duty Mill & Drill Table

Expect a fair amount of backlash in the screws and expect to have to do a little work tuning it up.

Back