What's new
What's new

Yam 1000 Lathe - Opinions and Estimated Value Opinions Needed

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
I am thinking about going to look at an older 14 x 40 YAM 1000 lathe that is for sale locally, it is a bare machine, ie no chucks, no steady or follower rests, no tooling. I have no experience with this mfr of lathes, it is made in Taiwan, any opinions on whether or not these were decent machines?

Seller is asking $2500 for it, but its been for sale for a while so probably not a steal at that price, I have a different number in mind, but it may not be realistic either, so need some other opinions on its value.

I have a couple of unused chucks laying around, 8" 3 and a 4 jaw pretty sure one is a D1-6 which should fit it, other would need a backing plate. And should I get it will pull most of the tooling I have for the 12x36 unmentionable lathe and sell that machine, mentioned selling it last night in front of a group of friends and one is interested in it.

Need opinions on the YAM, and opinions on value of a bare bones machine. If there are any known trouble areas on the YAM, please advise on what to inspect.

Thanks!

Attachments

• yam 1.jpg
    yam 1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 716
I believe that YAM is a quality machine and I also feel that the $2500 asking price is a give away price..if you offered less and got the machine you would probably have trouble sleeping at night. Not follow or steady is sort of a downer though.

Stuart

I am thinking about going to look at an older 14 x 40 YAM 1000 lathe that is for sale locally, it is a bare machine, ie no chucks, no steady or follower rests, no tooling. I have no experience with this mfr of lathes, it is made in Taiwan, any opinions on whether or not these were decent machines?

Seller is asking $2500 for it, but its been for sale for a while so probably not a steal at that price, I have a different number in mind, but it may not be realistic either, so need some other opinions on its value.

I have a couple of unused chucks laying around, 8" 3 and a 4 jaw pretty sure one is a D1-6 which should fit it, other would need a backing plate. And should I get it will pull most of the tooling I have for the 12x36 unmentionable lathe and sell that machine, mentioned selling it last night in front of a group of friends and one is interested in it.

Need opinions on the YAM, and opinions on value of a bare bones machine. If there are any known trouble areas on the YAM, please advise on what to inspect.

Thanks!

I could be wrong - I last researched this when the late RJ Newbould's wife/widow was trying to sell his lathe.

I THINK YAM is the same-same as, or name-behind, "Cadillac", and is one of the better "Taiwanese generic" assemblers. Where "better" can be a relative term. IOW it is neither Japanese nor even South Korean.

That said, I don't have a lot of time for Taiwanese generic, especially once no longer new, and with zero warranty.

If Mazak blesses them, I've no idea if that implies any ownership, partial control, extra QC, or was simply a bit of investigation that found a worthy value-for-money third-party filler to cover need of an all-manual machine in their own line. One supposes Mazak would want to avoid potential embarrassment, so I'd class it a plus for YAM, whatever the "real deal" actually is.

YOMD - I've less-than-zero idea how demanding your needs are or will be.

BTW, I just picked up the 21"-29" version that is rebranded by Webb and appears identical to Tom Lipton's and the one you are contemplating. It seems to be very high quality and built to last.

BTW, I just picked up the 21"-29" version that is rebranded by Webb and appears identical to Tom Lipton's and the one you are contemplating. It seems to be very high quality and built to last.

This is new information - to me, at least. I thought Webb was rebadging Hwacheon, South Korea' Mori-Seiki clones.

Only.

Mind, I may easily be "the last to know". Got more other lathes than good sense arredy!

:)

This is new information - to me, at least. I thought Webb was rebadging Hwacheon, South Korea' Mori-Seiki clones.

Only.

Mind, I may easily be "the last to know". Got more other lathes than good sense arredy!

:)

Webb puts their badges on quality Mori-Seiki clones. New ones from Webb are Hwacheon clones as you say, but they are the same design, with interchangeable parts, and you will also see with Cadillac badge and YAM/Yang was a previous supplier to Webb. In case I didn't mention it, my 21"-29" is used and most of the nameplates show YAM/Yang, although the most prominent badge on the front of the lathe shows Webb.

gcude
I have seen that video before, just had not noted it was a YAM. Just watched it again for a basic familiarization with the machine. Thanks!

Tyrone
I agree, repaints raise suspicions. Spoke with the seller yesterday, basic story is he purchased 10 years ago thinking he would learn to use it, started on clean-up/repaint and lost interest where it is in that pic. Says its been gracing his garage since then and has decided its time to pass it on. He did say it would take a couple of days to cleanup/re arrange garage to get it out, so that pic might not even be current. But it is craigslist, so you never know about the story.

I've run the big brother version, 17" Cadillac- it was a really nice lathe.

That one looks a little crusty where it hasn't been repainted, handwheels, etc.

$2500 isn't too cheap imo. By the time you have a pair of decent chucks, toolpost and holders, live center and steady you have doubled your spend, and it's still only a 14x40.

There was one for sale locally here (also a Cadillac) that was a one-owner, old-guy-at-home machine. Mint condition, and really well equipped including collet closer, it was advertised (IIRC) for $4500.

It was offered by a local machine dealer who isn't known for selling cheap- I tried to buy it, but the guy never returned my calls.

Thanks!

YAM = yang machine works
Also imported as Cadillac brand lathes

They have been around since 1943

All the one's I have seen were made in Taiwan and 80's vintage or newer.

In general were very well built lathes with hardened bedways and headstock gears with meehanite castings. They also have Turcite carriage liners. The only thing I have heard from several users was that the lathe is pretty low so if you are tall you want to space them off of the ground. Even the small 14x22" gap lathe weighs 2200+ lbs.

Eisen machinery in Ontario,CA still lists selling parts for them.

Parts Service – Eisen Machinery Inc

The spindle on some was a "A" mount. I believe the 14" I saw has an A1-5 mount. But others had a D type.

They can have two speed motors with a coolant pump . So running off an RPC or true 3 phase power is plug and play. Powering it from single phase with a VFD takes re-wiring and usually loosing the two speed motor capability and coolant pump. If it has the 5 HP motor. you will want a 10HP minimum RPC (15 HP is better).

Seller did say he thought it was an A1-5 spindle, but info I found online all said D1-6, I will definitely need to check which it is. Looked on ebay and not much available there either new or used for A1-5, and new adapter plates from MSC are not cheap either.

Pulled some of the old chucks out from under bench this eve to see what I do have, none are D1-6, but seem to think there is one stashed away somewhere in shop. There is a 6" 3 jaw, a 8" 3 jaw, a 9" 4 jaw, a 12" 4 jaw, hopefully at least a couple will work with adapter plates.

I have never had a machine with Turcite liners, what should I look for as far as condition of the Turcite?

Going to look it over tomorrow and maybe make a deal, I will get a few pics too.

I owned a YAM 14x40 once for a short time. I can say that compared to the import 14x40s I saw in the catalogs at the time, the YAM was very heavily built. I got it out of the company that bought it new, and they gave me the paperwork. It was north of $12k.

Serious machine. Recommend.

metalmagpie

^ Kinda optional - all depends on just what your bolting on, the A series spindles genrally speaking have a metric shit ton of holes in them
depending on the chuck - face plate at least in the smaller sizes they tend to only use 3 or 6 of the holes for a three jaw face mounted chuck and normally 4 or so for a 4 jaw chuck.

To some that may seam weak, but its really more like a insert screw type approach, the taper, face takes - does nearly all the work, there's also a drive pin to transmit the torque.

Biggest issue is finding chucks, you need face mounting in the smaller sizes and normally you end up having to use a back plate. Equally its not exactly fast to change chucks, probably being the slowest common chuck mounting system out there which depending on what you do with it can be a bit of a down side using such a machine in job shop style work.

Seller did say he thought it was an A1-5 spindle, but info I found online all said D1-6, I will definitely need to check which it is. Looked on ebay and not much available there either new or used for A1-5, and new adapter plates from MSC are not cheap either.

Pulled some of the old chucks out from under bench this eve to see what I do have, none are D1-6, but seem to think there is one stashed away somewhere in shop. There is a 6" 3 jaw, a 8" 3 jaw, a 9" 4 jaw, a 12" 4 jaw, hopefully at least a couple will work with adapter plates.

I have never had a machine with Turcite liners, what should I look for as far as condition of the Turcite?

Going to look it over tomorrow and maybe make a deal, I will get a few pics too.

On the ones I have seen it is really a A1-5 and A2-5 spindle since it has both bolt patterns. I found chucks for these mounts were not as common as D series but I did find reasonably prices Bison, etc on the used market after some searching.

See the link below for dimensions. It is the first diagram in the pdf.

www.lathes.co.uk/spindlenose/spindlenoses.pdf

^ Kinda optional - all depends on just what your bolting on, the A series spindles genrally speaking have a metric shit ton of holes in them
depending on the chuck - face plate at least in the smaller sizes they tend to only use 3 or 6 of the holes for a three jaw face mounted chuck and normally 4 or so for a 4 jaw chuck.

To some that may seam weak, but its really more like a insert screw type approach, the taper, face takes - does nearly all the work, there's also a drive pin to transmit the torque.

Biggest issue is finding chucks, you need face mounting in the smaller sizes and normally you end up having to use a back plate. Equally its not exactly fast to change chucks, probably being the slowest common chuck mounting system out there which depending on what you do with it can be a bit of a down side using such a machine in job shop style work.

The main annoying feature I found was the Bison 5C scroll collet chucks did not fit well since the diameter of the chuck is about the same size as the bolt pattern. But as an alternative you could easily use the standard drawbar type 5C collet chuck and nose spindle (which is a MT5 size if memory serves). Also, the Hardinge Sjogren chucks came standard as A2-5 (no adapter plate) but they are not too common.

Back