What's new
What's new

D1-6 without two cams??

GregSY

Diamond
I bought a Pratt Burnerd 12" 4 jaw chuck advertised as D1-6 mount.

I didn't look at the photos super-closely.

On arrival, I noticed that the D1-6 is missing two of the studs. There is a hole machined for them, but it is not counterbored or tapped, etc.

Is this normal? Or did I buy something I will need to finish machining...?

d1-6.jpg

With studs removed:

d1-2 2.jpg

Looks fine to me. Probably they couldn’t put the studs into there because of the other holes. But should run fine. Only thing is I have heard of the locking cams on lathes break off at higher rpms.

It should be fine. A D1-6 mount is massively strong and probably overkill with all six studs in place
and working. I've got a 13" lathe with a D1-6 mount and an 8" 3-jaw and a 10" 4-jaw. Even on the
4-jaw chuck six studs seems like a lot. We had a Graziano SAG 14 which came with a D1-5 mount and
the 8" 3-jaw and the 10" 4-jaw chucks which came with it only had three studs installed. We ran that
machine for more than 10 years and I never once felt uneasy about the mount...

Dual purpose D and A? I expect you will find the four holes without pins go all the way thru chuck body - so it could be bolted to A1-6" spindle nose - assuming removal of pins. :)

Dual purpose D and A? I expect you will find the four holes without pins go all the way thru chuck body - so it could be bolted to A1-6" spindle nose

Could be you are correct on the use, but that they do NOT go through.

Suspect the back side of the untapped holes is counterbored. The plate is bolted from the front, already, and into blind holes at that.

Separate the chuck from the plate, bolt the naked plate to A-series, re-attach the chuck to the now-mounted plate with the same bolts it uses for D1?

Scheming something similar to get D1-4 goods onto Cazeneuve-proprietary by putting from-the-back fasteners into empty but threaded D1-stud sockets.

Caze is, itself, "dual use."

Taper, rim-pinch screws on the "radial", XOR (one or the other, never both at once) face mount similar to A-series.

Yes, it was advertised as D1 or A1. But, in hindsight, I don't see why they didn't finish the two holes....I don't see that it would in any way prevent the A1 mount.

Oh well....s-l1600.jpg

Like already covered, don't even worry about it. (4) ⅞" pins will be plenty as long as you're not running 80 horsepower and trying for the impossible world record cut. Even then you'd just blow the tool shank or shear a feed drive pin before all 4 of those would let go. :D

I have an 80 HP lathe and the 16" chuck is held on with 3 24MM bolts. It has been crashed hard enough to blow the 2000 lb turret through the door twice. Those 3 bolts have never been replaced AFAIK.

OK thanks all. I'm gonna clean this chuck up and use it for...the rest of my life. This chuck was sitting new on a shelf, never used, got surface rust over the years.

I have a 10 inch nice Swedish 3 jaw. D1-6 with only 3 pins direct mount into the chuck body. On the other hand I have a 6.25 Bison on a D1-6 backing plate - all 7 pins. lol.

Back