Yellow Freight (YRC) Lost a Crate
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    113

    Default Yellow Freight (YRC) Lost a Crate

    Recently I shipped a crate of machine parts from Massachusetts to Wisconsin via YRC. Crate was 24"x50" by~6" high and weighed in at ~240#.

    It was a few days past their estimated delivery date with no confirmation of delivery so I contacted them and was informed they couldn't locate the crate. Crate was reweighed in Tonawanda, NY (outside of Buffalo) so I know it made it that far. After that it was supposed to be on a truck through Chicago and up into Wisconsin-- except it didn't arrive.

    Anyone dealt with this and have any suggestions for how to help YRCs search process or enhance my chances of finding the crate?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    6,276
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9371
    Likes (Received)
    2939

    Default

    Keep after them. The checking at each place it was handled will show where it disappeared. If you can find out where that is call that terminal and ask for their OS&D person. Possibly lost its ID and sitting there. Possibly misloaded and at another terminal with some lazy ass OS&D person thinking the bill will catch up to it. Possibly mixed up with interline and given to another carrier and , again, sitting there. The sooner you get the right people looking the better your chances.

  3. Likes Milland liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Imlay City, Michigan
    Posts
    1,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    88
    Likes (Received)
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sneebot View Post
    Recently I shipped a crate of machine parts from Massachusetts to Wisconsin via YRC. Crate was 24"x50" by~6" high and weighed in at ~240#.

    It was a few days past their estimated delivery date with no confirmation of delivery so I contacted them and was informed they couldn't locate the crate. Crate was reweighed in Tonawanda, NY (outside of Buffalo) so I know it made it that far. After that it was supposed to be on a truck through Chicago and up into Wisconsin-- except it didn't arrive.

    Anyone dealt with this and have any suggestions for how to help YRCs search process or enhance my chances of finding the crate?
    I’ve had two shipments get reweighed out of probably a hundred........both times the shipment was damaged by the trucking companies!

    The first shipment, I ended up suing the trucking company in small claims and recovered my loss! The idiots set a top heavy shipment on the tail end of the truck, no straps or load bars? When the driver probably made his first stop, it rolled and destroyed the machine, they had the balls to ask me if I still wanted the machine? Needless to say they still wanted their fees?

    Next shipment was crated and it looked like someone dropped the crate or it rolled off the forks, it was almost destroyed! The trucking company then put the crate in another crate and reweighed for the additional weight and wanted to almost double the original shipping fees! I noted the damage on the BOL and had the truck driver sign it! I fought the charges and went through the whole appeals process with freight quote, freight quote did nothing to help, just strung me along! I no longer do business with them!

    Good luck finding your shipment! You need to start hounding them! I would find out why the shipment was reweighed, was your weight accurate?

    Again good luck!

    Kevin

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mebane North Carolina USA
    Posts
    6,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    53
    Likes (Received)
    1902

    Default

    Yellow really is the worst of them all

  6. Likes Mud, red beard liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1686
    Likes (Received)
    4975

    Default

    Hey Snee,

    Sent you an email with my sales rep's info, hope it can help.

    Most of my experiances with YRC have been pretty good, but sometimes crap happens and you have to make noise.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    2,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    247
    Likes (Received)
    644

    Default

    Freight Quote is slimey- always trying to find a way to jack the price-I have used them several times and always have an accurate weight and make sure to save a copy of their original quote. If you are selling something, have the buyer set up the shipping. going off track here so I'm stoppin - sorry. Best of luck finding your crate!!!

  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    113

    Default

    Well it looks like this has turned out well. YRC located the crate without too much prodding on my part. Apparently they delivered it to the wrong address with some other crates. They still need to pick it up and redeliver but at least it has been located.

  10. Likes tdmidget, Ray Behner, michiganbuck liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,046
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1387
    Likes (Received)
    878

    Default

    Can't remember anything with Yellow, but we have had packages and crates disappear. The scary reality is that if the labels disappear, the item no longer has any link to anyone. We've had crates arrive missing their shrink-wrap or sides and the only saving grace was that some kind hearted driver saved the label and taped it to the tattered remains of the contents. I've wondered if the other "lost" items go to a lost and found or sorts, or is it just a "what lost crate?" scenario involving a pawn shop or scrap yard?

    I'm surprised someone hasn't offered a lo-jack type service for shipping parcels or freight that you can GPS your stuff all over the planet. In most cases it would just offer a more exact ETA, but could also serve to locate missing items.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    13,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2176
    Likes (Received)
    3370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mebfab View Post
    Yellow really is the worst of them all
    This. It's a legacy from when it was Yellow Freight. I really think if YRC is my only alternative for shipping something, I'll be forced to do without whatever it is.

    Sneebot - I'm glad they found it, Consider this a gentle warning not to try your luck any harder with YRC.

    Unishippers talked me into using YRC against my better judgement a couple years ago to ship a pair of vidmar cabinets from Brooklyn to PA because the price was 75% of the next quote. The cabinets were strapped to pallets upside down and made it here OK. However, unknown to me there were very small casters attached to what was now the tops of the cabinets. YRC used that to reclassify the shipment, and the $275 bill became $625. I had no recourse. Unishippers discounted the shipment to their cost to help, but I still paid over $500.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    13,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2176
    Likes (Received)
    3370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    Can't remember anything with Yellow, but we have had packages and crates disappear. The scary reality is that if the labels disappear, the item no longer has any link to anyone.
    Goofy stuff happens in the terminals because oversight is so sketchy. I bought a Sunbeam Tiger 4 speed long ago, a rather specific transmission. The seller shipped it Yellow Freight. It disappeared in early December. We tried everything to find it for weeks. Early March, a guy backs up to my door, opens the trunk of his car and hands me a paper to sign. then points to the trans boxed and wrapped with wire in his trunk. Makes me lift it out myself, gets in his car and drives away without another word. From the condition of the transmission and his trunk, clearly my transmission was his traction ballast for the winter.

  14. Likes M.B. Naegle, JHOLLAND1 liked this post
  15. #11
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    113

    Default

    The address is written directly on the crate with a large marker. Being paranoid I also put a copy of the BOL in the crate. I've always been a bit suspicious of taping or adhearing labels to wood crates.

    I've had a few things shipped via YRC over the years without issue. When this problem came up I started poking around and was amazed at the volume of horror stories associated with them.

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sneebot View Post
    Recently I shipped a crate of machine parts from Massachusetts to Wisconsin via YRC. Crate was 24"x50" by~6" high and weighed in at ~240#.

    It was a few days past their estimated delivery date with no confirmation of delivery so I contacted them and was informed they couldn't locate the crate. Crate was reweighed in Tonawanda, NY (outside of Buffalo) so I know it made it that far. After that it was supposed to be on a truck through Chicago and up into Wisconsin-- except it didn't arrive.

    Anyone dealt with this and have any suggestions for how to help YRCs search process or enhance my chances of finding the crate?
    I think it fell off on I-90....I dodged something out there....

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    MO, USA
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    139
    Likes (Received)
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mebfab View Post
    Yellow really is the worst of them all
    CRH is another one to stay away from.

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,085
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4385
    Likes (Received)
    2053

    Default

    A got a bunch of gaylords and a stretch wrap machine left over from a big job I did. I haven't used the stretch wrap machine a bunch, but I plan to keep it because I can run entire roll of wrap on a gaylord and somebodied have to be very determined to get in there. I picked up the stretch wrap machine for a few hundred bucks broken. There isn't anything to them. Took 30 minutes to get it in top shape again.

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default

    New carrier. Delivery overnight, satisfaction guaranteed. Merger between Norfolk Southern Rail and Best Way Trucking.

    Norfolk & Way

    Thank you,
    Mr.Smith

  20. Likes richard newman, lucky7 liked this post
  21. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    47
    Likes (Received)
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Smith View Post
    New carrier. Delivery overnight, satisfaction guaranteed. Merger between Norfolk Southern Rail and Best Way Trucking.

    Norfolk & Way

    Thank you,
    Mr.Smith
    ......I see what you did there......

  22. Likes HWElecRepair liked this post
  23. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    3,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2153
    Likes (Received)
    1295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Smith View Post
    Norfolk & Way
    HAHA

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    3,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2153
    Likes (Received)
    1295

    Default

    duplicate post

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    This is feast time for LTL with record highs in prices in the last two decades. They don't care. I doubt your crate will be found, and unless you can get to the last dock it was at and speak to them directly- not the central dispatch or corporate- and it has something that is very identifiable- they don't care and they won't put any effort into this. They'll pay a pittance on insurance so sorry.

    All LTL is like that now- not every terminal- but overall- this is LTL until they become humbled when the economy takes a downturn.

    LTL knows they have us by the balls and they don't care.

    A friend of mine used Central in Missouri and they use an ancient dock. His XXXXX vertical milling machine got tipped and busted in several places. Central(Mahoud Central out of Michigan) gave him $400, HGR said sorry past 30 days from invoice and you agreed to the shipper and this isnt our problem. Get this: the mill was banded to the pallet using plastic composite banding like is used to box appliances at Sears. All but two bands popped.

    Central says not our fault, it was the shipper, the shipping mgr and sales mgr at HGR say 30 days since invoice have gone by so tough nuts.

    Right now LTL and Freight are just nuts, the health stanards are so tight, there are so few people who can keep all the certs with the opiate and drug crisis in the US. Plus DOT has really made it difficult to be a trucker for the safety of us 'Muricans- but the truckers will still run you over in a heartbeat.

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    6,276
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9371
    Likes (Received)
    2939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfigure View Post
    This is feast time for LTL with record highs in prices in the last two decades. They don't care. I doubt your crate will be found, and unless you can get to the last dock it was at and speak to them directly- not the central dispatch or corporate- and it has something that is very identifiable- they don't care and they won't put any effort into this. They'll pay a pittance on insurance so sorry.

    All LTL is like that now- not every terminal- but overall- this is LTL until they become humbled when the economy takes a downturn.

    LTL knows they have us by the balls and they don't care.

    A friend of mine used Central in Missouri and they use an ancient dock. His XXXXX vertical milling machine got tipped and busted in several places. Central(Mahoud Central out of Michigan) gave him $400, HGR said sorry past 30 days from invoice and you agreed to the shipper and this isnt our problem. Get this: the mill was banded to the pallet using plastic composite banding like is used to box appliances at Sears. All but two bands popped.

    Central says not our fault, it was the shipper, the shipping mgr and sales mgr at HGR say 30 days since invoice have gone by so tough nuts.

    Right now LTL and Freight are just nuts, the health stanards are so tight, there are so few people who can keep all the certs with the opiate and drug crisis in the US. Plus DOT has really made it difficult to be a trucker for the safety of us 'Muricans- but the truckers will still run you over in a heartbeat.
    What a crock of shit. I just don't see what is in that post for you , spammer. Obviously you couldn't be bothered to read the thread.

  27. Likes digger doug liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •