Yellow Freight (YRC) Lost a Crate - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Transport companies and insurers regularly hold lost and damaged freight auctions......incredible whats there ,lots of new stuff,lots of machinery and vehicle parts ,lots of furniture,sometimes whole trailer loads from a crash........real treasure trove at times....I never missed one for years.......sometimes I d ring up the consignees ,and ask if they wanted to buy their gear......no one ever did,some were cranky,some incredulous ,but never really upset.Once bought a alternator ,described as a electric motor,next lot was a damaged Cat diesel belonged to it.......the flywheel housing had been broken in a drop or crash....The lot for scrap price.
    Maybe in Australia or never never land, but not here.. First THEY CAN"T SELL WHAT THEY DON"T HAVE. If it had any indication of shipper, consignee, pro number, etc it will be matched to a bill or claim. Then it will either be delivered or placed "on hand" pending instructions from the owner or shipper. The myth of these sales is what gave birth to Harbor Freight. The freight rate and value system in the U.S. does not support replacement cost for high dollar items that could be repaired. The consignee, likely the owner will not tolerate waiting for a new build when a replacement part will put him in business. I used to work in the motor freight business, many years ago, and I can assure you that anything sold has only scrap value. Most consumer items today are not considered repairable and are garbage. All food and pharma items damaged are presumed contaminated and destroyed. What's left will not pay the labor on a yard sale.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    I am sure we have the technology to supply our own gps tracker in boxes/crates that we ship. Kind of like whats available to track a car or kids backpack etc.
    This one looks good, just the first one I came across that can be found remotely.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/amg-amg...?skuId=6358123
    It should be in a self addressed box to get it back after the important package arrived at its destination.
    More justifiable if you do a lot of shipping or are shipping high dollar parts.
    Honestly....smartphones are so cheap now. Buy a burner phone, prepaid SIM with data, and big ass USB power bank. Maybe $50. Install a tracking app of some kind on it and voila, you've got yourself a tracker. I'm sure there's some app out there that can hang out in a passive mode to save battery, and then flip on and phone home periodically.

If you're a nerd like me you could also rig up an arduino and a GPS, cell module/data only SIM and some D batteries. Probably $20 in parts.

Edit: Oh hey, someone has a commercial version of the latter. Sweet. GPS Shipment Tracking | GPS Trackers | Realtime Asset and Car Tracking Devices

3. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    Maybe in Australia or never never land, but not here..
    I used to regularly attend auctions where they items were "lost in transit", "freight damaged" or whatever you want to call it... up near Kansas City Missouri at a little town called Gardner.

This guy went to a place where this stuff always ended up.. and you guys from KCMO know what I'm talking about~ that stuff was in these big storage places called "the caves".. from Yellow, UPS, FedEx, DHL.... you name it. He'd buy semi trailer loads of this stuff at auction and bring it back to his site, unload the semi trailer with a forklift and deposit all the items on the ground in his big parking lot, and have an auction to resell the stuff.
    He told us that he went to these big auctions at "The Caves"... where they store this stuff in climate controlled atmosphere.. he bid against other people doing the same things.

I bought more shit than you can shake a stick at... most things in boxes had labels affixed that showed what shipper it came from.

One of the machinery related items that came from the auction was an Aloris DA toolpost. Brand frickin' new... missing the knob on the end of the handle. I always figured someone was pretty upset that they didn't get the toolpost they ordered.

I bought two big reels of 10/4 SO electric wire... $45 dollars each. Boxes of carbide tipped lathe tools... welding supplies.... a pallet full of boxes of 4' fluorescent light bulbs... I went there for years... and have the shop full of interesting items to prove it.

I traveled up to this auction with 3 other guys in a big 1½" ton truck pulling a trailer... and we'd fill it up with goodies every time.

It was great while it lasted. I went up there for about 3 years before I finally got tired of "winning"...and ran out of room to store stuff.

So, to recap... there really are places where they sell this freight damaged/lost in transit stuff.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

YRC lost our new Shop Sabre CNC plasma table for like a month, while promising delivery that day every time we called to check on it. Finally got around to trying to deliver it on the only holiday that month, meaning we didn't have any forklift operators to unload it. Called a couple days later to say that they were delivering it, but it had shipping damage. Completely destroyed the gantry somehow. Looked like someone hit one side with a fork lift and just kept going.

6. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, did it ever get to it's destination?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
    So, did it ever get to it's destination?
    No. It was lost twice and remains lost.