What's new
What's new

Yet another air compressor oil scam

tomjelly

Stainless
I have a little jun-air 6-15 air compressor, like the one in the photo. Its is basically a sealed refrigerant type, and is the quietest compressor I've ever heard, not much louder than a household refrigerator. I have it teed into my main air line with a 7.5hp IR so the big one only comes on for high demand. The air lines and tanks have enough capacity so the big one rarely turns on. I need to add a bit of oil to the jun-air, cap says sj27 oil. Of course this oil is like $75 a pint and probably garden variety oil of what type I don't know, other than loads of people repackaging what the stuff really is in containers with jun-air sj27 "replacement" labels. Anybody know what it really is?
chrome_2020-04-30_12-43-22.jpg

Trimethylolpropane tricaprylate/caprate, per the SDS
Tripropane craptate? I think you can get that at Walmart. :D

Lol. Any light synthetic compressor oil, my guess. Watch the temperature to make sure it doesn't run hot.

But then again, I won't honor the warranty...

That is a synthetic ester based compressor oil. You need to replace with the same technology.

Mobil Rarus 824 or Mobil Rarus 827 would okay, pick the one with the closest viscosity.

Synthetic oil like a PAO or a API Group III is NOT the same as a synthetic ester.

Synthetic esters are not cheap, so be sitting down when you price them. Switching to a lubricant that is not ester based will like wreck the compressor in short order.

Good luck.

mobil 824 is 32 iso viscosity, mobil 827 is 100 iso. I wouldn't know how to find out what viscosity oil is in there, I don't suppose the 27 in js27 would have any relation to the 27 in mobil 827, would it? I'd rather get a gallon of the correct mobil and have it available for oil changes than get 24oz of the $70 stuff....

mobil 824 is 32 iso viscosity, mobil 827 is 100 iso. I wouldn't know how to find out what viscosity oil is in there, I don't suppose the 27 in js27 would have any relation to the 27 in mobil 827, would it? I'd rather get a gallon of the correct mobil and have it available for oil changes than get 24oz of the $70 stuff....

SJ27 is an ISO 46 viscosity grade. You'll be fine with the Rarus 824 that is ISO 32,
generally moving up or down 1 ISO grade is not an issue. For example the SAE 30
specification overlaps 3 ISO grades.

Good to know thanks for the info. Also, how does iso 46 hydraulic oil differ from the iso 46 sj27?

Back