What's new
What's new

Yuasa Divider Head Dead Center Removal

beeser

Cast Iron
I just purchased a used Yuasa 550-032 dividing head and want to remove the dead center. I tried tapping the dead center from the back side but it doesn't seem to budge. Is there something else holding it in place?

I don't think that there is anything but friction and rust. Apply a generous amount of Kroil from both sides. Wait a few hours. Tap it from the back again.

I would use a soft metal tool against it as it may be an unhardened center and you don't want to distort/mushroom it in the process.

I would shift the worm out of engagement before you start beating and banging on it, You don't want to ding the ring gear with the worm gear. My center is just a short 3 or 4 Morse taper, Should just pop out.
Dave [acme thread]

I just purchased a used Yuasa 550-032 dividing head and want to remove the dead center. I tried tapping the dead center from the back side but it doesn't seem to budge. Is there something else holding it in place?

Its one of the knockoffs based on the ancient B&S - which had a #10 B&S taper - and at .500" per foot on diameter, not a real willing taper to UNSTICK

Good advise. You may go further and turn it upside down on the bench. Put some wood blocks under the table so only the table and the wood blocks feel the blows.

I would shift the worm out of engagement before you start beating and banging on it, You don't want to ding the ring gear with the worm gear. My center is just a short 3 or 4 Morse taper, Should just pop out.
Dave [acme thread]

Yep put it face down on blocks, a big hammer and a mild steel drift and hit it like a man. Like this you cause no harm IMHO theirs no point with penetrate oil on a ground machine taper. You just need enough force to unstick it and a small hammer + soft rod will just mushroom, a big hammer and as hard a rod + as larg a dia as fits as to not harm anything and then it will shift.

Oh put something soft under the center to catch it. Then HIT IT!

I picked up a 550-031 several years ago, which I believe is the same size as yours but semi-universal rather than universal - had the same situation with a stuck center. After trying several things, finally turned up a bushing to fit over the center in the spindle and took it to a friend who had a 30 ton hydraulic press. It sounded like a shotgun blast when it let loose.

Thanks all for the suggestions, especially the caution on possibly damaging the ring gear if the worm is engaged. The dividing head was apparently sitting in storage for a long time and caked in hard oil. Most of the exterior crud has been removed but I'm thinking it might be a good time for a complete cleaning and restoration. If the center taper assembly having the ring gear is removed would it be easier to have the dead center removed using a press?

I would think the ring gear is part of the table and can not be separated? Yes take it apart and just take the table to the hydraulic press.
Take a piece of hardwood or metal with a hole drilled/bored just a little bigger then the center. Make a pusher the correct diameter from iron or even good hardwood with the correct grain orientation. It only needs to stick up 1/4" or less above flush. When the center moves a few thousandths it will jump out like a shot.
These metal/wood pieces can be close fitting sockets if you happen to have some that fit.

I have about 15 dividing heads, a few so large I can't lift them yet all of them have a means to disconnect the worm. But I don't have a Yuasa. I'm sure you don't have a draw bar since you did attempt to remove the center and I assume a rod went in quite a deep. I have found hard centers in boxes of stuff I purchased that were threaded, why? I have no idea! Use the largest diameter that will fit in the spindle and a hand sledge. 5 pounds I think. A good tap with a heavy hammer is much better than repeated wacks with a light hammer.

I had that problem with my Cincinnati once. Luckily the tool that was stuck in it was hollow. I took a can of Minnesota Fast Freeze and sprayed it real good in the hole in the back. This chilled the tool and one tap of the hammer and it fell out. Made me feel stupid for doing all that hammering on my dividing head. Always keep a can of that magic in your shop. There are times when you have to have it.

Back