What's new
What's new

Yuasa spindle speeder - MT tang mount

leeko

Stainless
Hi all

I picked up a Yuasa spindle speeder this week, to use on my old Van Norman mill. The speeder is a 1:7 ratio, is rated for max 10,000rpm and up to a 3/8" shank tool. I think it should be a nice addition to my mill, which has a top speed of 1500rpm.

The speeder is on a MT4 mount with a tang - no drawbar. That seems a bit weird on a tool designed for milling with up to 3/8" cutters.

My mill has a 50 taper spindle. I see a couple of options:

- sell it and buy one with a straight shank
- modify the shank to accept a drawbar (not ideal, as I'd have to make a totally different drawbar to use with a 50taper to MT4 adapter)
- permanently mount the mt4 in a holder (loctite? Set screws? Spot weld?)
- ignore it and use as intended, as the small cutter forces aren't enough to worry a MT4 shank's hold

I'd appreciate any guidance!

(And before anyone mentions what a POS the Yuasa speeders are, I've read all the posts about them on PM. But it's what I could find at a reasonable price).

Thanks,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Betting that you can get under the surface hardness....Don't believe that they would through harden that shank....
Grind a little undercut at the start of the taper to get below the hardened outer surface, and cut from there.
Core will be hard, but likely machinable using carbide.
Cheers Ross

If you can't, then pick up a few cheap CBN inserts from Ebay, that will definitely cut it well.
I have a few cbn inserts I could try... That'll be a good test for my celtic/mondiale lathe... I'd imagine it requires a fairly rigid machine to make those work well?

I guess the question still stands, then - why do these tanged end mills exist? I also see b&s #9 endmills come up semi-regularly on eBay - how are they intended to be used?

Tang drive steep taper was just THE tool holding system back in the day before the NMTB and other tool holders came into play, and there are still some being made in legacy. Steep tapers were being made way back in the 1800-somthings. NMTB didn't really come into play until the 1930's. So long as there's a machine shop around with yesterdays tools, there'll be a need to fit the old tools to the new machines, and visa-versa.

IMO the easiest solution would be to stick it in a Morse #4 - NMTB 50 adapter, such as this :
NMTB50 to #4 Morse Taper Holder- DeVlieg - USA - FREE SHIPPING | eBay

Tang drive steep taper was just THE tool holding system back in the day before the NMTB and other tool holders came into play, and there are still some being made in legacy. Steep tapers were being made way back in the 1800-somthings. NMTB didn't really come into play until the 1930's.

IMO the easiest solution would be to stick it in a Morse #4 - NMTB 50 adapter, such as this :
NMTB50 to #4 Morse Taper Holder- DeVlieg - USA - FREE SHIPPING | eBay
I do have one of those. I kind of assumed I could use it with the smaller / engraving type cutters. But, I was worried that a 3/8" carbide endmill might be enough to overcome the holding power of the mt4 taper though... But I guess if there are 1" endmills with a MT4 taper out there, I'm worrying about nothing much?

Back