What's new
What's new

Zmm Sofia hobby 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibsea402

Plastic
Hi everyone I am considering buying this lathe. Does anyone know it or has experience with it. It is really hard to find information about it online. Hope that you can help

Don't do it

Unless you are just turning parts and not parting, it isn't built well enough to do anything more than brass, copper, and plastic. You could just as easily get a wood lathe and do that.

Find someone to get you started because you are looking at the wrong equipment.

How much would the be in us dollars.
Most mini lathes are not very good.
Many sell foe $300 to perhaps $1200 perhaps $1200 and are not worth that much spent on a used real lathe.

Still it seems that outfit makes a line of big lathes...so who knows.
Not that many in the USA

Yes, i know it, or a machine very similar to it. I used to have one a long time ago.

This is, or looks very similar to, a rebranded version of the Taiwanese manufactured Emco Compact 8. They were sold with several different names, sometimes the very same machine made in the same factory, namely the Fu-San Machine Works in Taiwan.

Obviously it is not a super-duper industrial quality production machine; anybody can see that.

But I used mine for thousands of hours, learned a lot doing it, and even made some money too when I was a beginner. We all gotta start someplace, and if that is all you can get, well then...

Pricewise, 10 000 DK sounds like a lot more than it should. All the extra tools and accessories is a good thing of course, but 10k is very steep. Maybe machines are naturally expensive in Denmark, idunno.

Yes, i know it, or a machine very similar to it. I used to have one a long time ago.

This is, or looks very similar to, a rebranded version of the Taiwanese manufactured Emco Compact 8. They were sold with several different names, sometimes the very same machine made in the same factory, namely the Fu-San Machine Works in Taiwan.

Although it may look like the much copied Emco AFAIK all Sophia branded lathes were made in Bulgaria. In that case buyer beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back