What's new

Books on machine tool rebuilding ?

• Thread starter Admin5
  • Start date
  • Replies 2
  • Views 7,566
A

Admin5

Posted by Paul J. Decker on December 26, 00 (from the WWWMachine Shop board)

I have on several occasions come across the title of a book called Machine Tool Rebuilding. I can't remember the author's name exactly but it was something like Edward Murphy or ?. Has anyone ever heard of this book and can you comment on its content? It supposedly has info on hand scraping ways and other "lost art" kinda stuff. I saw on on eBay that went for around $80.

Reply by Stephen Thomas

Is the book you are thinking of. Edward F. Connelly. Agree with Forrest - "The Bible". Handscraping a flat is easy. The reason there are 533 pages in this book is because it covers every aspect of machine alignment; and the test procedures and methods to attain them. You may never decide to rescrape a machine yourself, but you will never take one for granted, no matter how good it "looks" after reading this book. You will probably rethink a lot of your apprroach to a machine tool and how thoughtless or incomplete set up can cause accelerated wear and destruction. It was a terribly sad and cruelly ironic that such a brilliant, lucid writer and technician as his book demonstrates Mr Connelly to have been, was condemmed to spend so many of the last years of his life suffering from alzheimers.

The book is advertised off and on in HSM for $92.95 Machine Tool Publications, 935 Holley Ave. St. Paul Park, MN 55071 Ph. 651 458 1540. (Gloat: can't resist noting I got mine from the author 15 or 20 yrs ago for $27.50)

smt

Just a note that Machinerymanuals.com is almost a moot point due to outrageous prices.

Back