What's new
What's new

Bridgeport serial number list by date

It says that the bridgeport S/N is on the knee. Where on the knee? The only S/N I find is on the head and its 6516 which is OLD (older than I want to believe my mill is)

On the knee (between the ways) right above the y-axis crank handle. Might have to slide the chip guards back. Should be facing right up at you. The head number is different from the machine number.

i have a b/p by adcock&shiply in england j head s/No brj1044 printed on head is this a original head as supplied with machine 1960

On this side of the pond, the head s/n is not correlated with the machine s/n. The latter is on the knee under the sliding cover plate, directly behind the Y-axis handle. You can't determine age from the head s/n.

Don't know about the Adcock-Shipley but I expect it's the same.

Leigh

Cass,

As Leigh says, I don't think the machine serial number and the head serial number match. The UK machines have a different number system, but this still seems to apply.

I have an Adcock-Shipley BP, I know it was supplied around 1974, and its serial number is 187490474 SX (stamped on the lubrication plate).

I am told (ie on forums) the last four digits refer to the month and year, ie April 1974.

The head number is quite different: 2JB 5304.

The parts book states that both these numbers should be quoted when ordering parts.

I just saved a bridgeport mill base from the scrap yard, it is one I have never seen before. It is ser# hp935 on knee, it does not have dove tail ways the ways are rectangle with chrome. There is also an X axis feed wheel on the X Y base as well as the left and right ends of the table.It is in excellent condition overall.The turret mount appears to be a J style there was also J head head casting inside the base. Does anyone know what this model is and anymore information about it? thanks Craig

Is there a current site where this above serial number list exists? Metalwebnews.com seems to have died.
thanks

I just saved a bridgeport mill base from the scrap yard, it is one I have never seen before. It is ser# hp935 on knee, it does not have dove tail ways the ways are rectangle with chrome. There is also an X axis feed wheel on the X Y base as well as the left and right ends of the table.It is in excellent condition overall.The turret mount appears to be a J style there was also J head head casting inside the base. Does anyone know what this model is and anymore information about it? thanks Craig

Hi Craig, Just wondering if you have found any more information about your mill? I just got one with the same description as yours but serial number HP 298 on the knee. Mine is in Ontario, Canada. Thanks, Mike

Just found this thread and thought I jump in for fun, too.

61956. She certainly shows signs of being a 60's child!

I know this is an old post......sounds like a Series II special?

Hi Craig, Just wondering if you have found any more information about your mill? I just got one with the same description as yours but serial number HP 298 on the knee. Mine is in Ontario, Canada. Thanks, Mike

Same as above, unsure on the years these were first made, IIRC, the first ones were made in the mid 60's thru the early 90's?

My machine is not on the list, on the knee it is marked 277718. Any idea the year of manufacturea/

Bridgeport Series I, the Serial numbers I have;

250000 started in 87.
260000 started in 92
270000 started in 95
280000 started in 99

That's all the info I have.......

Kevin

Back