What's new
What's new

Calibrating a mitutoyo digital height gauge?

jordan6679

Plastic
I picked up a new granite and mitutoyo 192-656 0-18" Height gauge. I cleaned it well and polished the ways a bit, I'm not sure the age but it's very clean with no abuse. I checked it out with a 4 and 10" mitutoyo ID Mic rod, it is way out of calibration. At 4", it was .004 high. And at 10" it was .0105 high. Can I adjust this at home, is there something mechanical I can service or is it in the encoder?

Thanks for any input.

Tom

uploadfromtaptalk1410047325515.jpg

I picked up a new granite and mitutoyo 192-656 0-18" Height gauge. I cleaned it well and polished the ways a bit, I'm not sure the age but it's very clean with no abuse. I checked it out with a 4 and 10" mitutoyo ID Mic rod, it is way out of calibration. At 4", it was .004 high. And at 10" it was .0105 high. Can I adjust this at home, is there something mechanical I can service or is it in the encoder?

Thanks for any input.

Tom

View attachment 116436

On Mits stand alone readers, there are DIP switches on the board to provide correction for linear errors. Perhaps there is a similar feature on your guage head. You need to find the literature for the unit. It will tell all ;-)

Wow, I never considered that problem (scaling error) for the digital height gages. I've got a two-beam mechanical (the type with separate up and down counters) and that particular problem is one it inherently can't have.

I tore it to the frame and gave a deep cleaning. The teeth were caked deep with shop grime, I cleaned them out with a brush several times until every tooth was perfect. I reassembled and lubed it with some dry moly lube. Checking calibration with the same 4 and 10" rods, it read the same. The encoder was clean and smooth. Again, at 4" it was .0045 high, at 10" .0105 high. I don't understand where the error is coming from. I didn't see any kind of linear scaling adjustment on the circuit board, but it does have a readout outlet, and possibly another outlet for calibration?

uploadfromtaptalk1410234401145.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410234415329.jpg

Back