What's new
What's new

a good small table lathe for a home shop?

Uncle Ethan

Aluminum
I am going into partial retirement January 1st, and I want a small bench lathe for projects. I had one that was 24" between centers some years ago, but you had a stack gears to change when threading. Is there a older small mill that has a gear changer for a "reasonable" price? Thanks for your help.

The 9 inch swing South Bend is the standard for old bench lathes...many have the quick change gearbox. You might want to look at the South Bend part of the forum here and the Machinery for Sale or Wanted section here.

-------------------------------------------
pmjk120.jpg

Suggest you avoid the OLD Logan model 200 type. The only replacement bearings that are available tend to be loose, unlike the original ones, and will lead to chatter.

newer ones (that look alot like model 200s) have a spring preload and don't have the problem.

I added preload to my 200, and it sure did the trick, so the newer ones should be OK.

I'll second the suggestion about Logans. They're usually much less expensive than a South Bend. Used parts are commonly available, and new parts for most models are available too. Manuals, technical help, support groups are all there. They're simple and reliable machines. I've got a Logan 1940, and it's been my main lathe for about 16 years. I've got bigger lathes now too, but the Logan is still my preferred lathe for collet work and small stuff.

Bruce Johnson

A small Sheldon is a good choice - typically more robust than a small SB. I have a 10x36 that is a very nice machine and runs on 110v (3/4 hp motor).

Remember he is looking for a benchtop lathe which
does limit the field a bit, and that a leadscrew
for threading seems to be required as well.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I know a 12 is getting kinda big, but my point is I like the Logan brand...as compared to say a 10" Atlas which I have also owned. Logans tend to be better built and designed IMHO, than some of the other choices out there.

Addtionally, some of these bench tops, even used ones are getting down right expensive these days. I assume due to higher demand for the "mobile" product? It could be me but it seems the price per pound drops off quickly once the lathe starts to get a little heavy...
Not to over state it, I made a #2-128 tap with my 12" Logan ( under a magnifying glass..without coffee), I wouldn't have even tried that on the Atlas, but I would never attempt to take the hogging cuts my 12" Logan can do on my old atlas either. I purchase price was the same for both.

Respectfully,
Dave

I guess if I were in a situation where I had
*really* limited space, I'd think seriously about
an older cataract, rivett, elgin, or stark bench
lathe, without leadscrew or feed capability.
Then can really be shoe-horned into a tight spot
if that's an issue, and the cataracts at least
will take 5C collets righ in the spindle. A
real plus if one has ever worked with a 9"
SB machine limeted to 3Cs.

The *real* trouble with machines like the 9"
model A southbends is that the bench winds up
being so darned deep from the wall to the
operator - simply because of the rear drive unit.

So in the case where depth is a real issue an
underneath drive lathe beats the pants off the
bench machines. My 10L SB is *much* more compact
than my old 9" bench machine.

But none of them would ever fit in the spot
I used to keep my 7" pratt whitney bench lathe.

Jim

can the logan (1815) bench type lathes be modified so that the motor and drive is above the lathe? sort of the like the repowering of old line shaft lathes. or is there even enough wiggle room in the spindle casting to put the motor and drive below the spindle and run the belt up?

Rudolf;

I guess you could rig up an overhead motor drive to a Logan if you needed to. You'd leave off the top cover and the whole stock overhanging motor drive assembly. The Logan headstock is mostly a hollow cast iron box holding up the spindle and the back gear shaft. You'd still need a countershaft to get the reduction.

An underneath drive wouldn't be practical. The Logan bed is narrow and the headstock casting is solid on the bottom.

The standard Logan drive assembly isn't really that deep. Pushed against the wall, the spindle c/l will be 20" from the wall. The whole lathe is 30" wide.

Bruce Johnson

I guess you could rig up an overhead motor drive to a Logan if you needed to. You'd leave off the top cover and the whole stock overhanging motor drive assembly. The Logan headstock is mostly a hollow cast iron box holding up the spindle and the back gear shaft. You'd still need a countershaft to get the reduction.

An underneath drive wouldn't be practical. The Logan bed is narrow and the headstock casting is solid on the bottom.
Yours may be solid, mine shore ain't.

And the bed isn't so narrow for the size, it's over an inch wider than the similar S-B I have seen. The bed on my 10" is 7" wide. The same size bed was used in under-drive models.

Logan made a lot of underdrive machines, as well as the &^%%$ rear-mounted drivebox ones. I have an SB countershaft on mine instead, and prefer it to the drivebox.

Actually a Super 7B is not a bad idea as there are tons of additions and tooling to be had or made for it....a rather distressing point is of course, the cost....they are not cheap.

But from all accounts that I have heard, they are a nice lathe

Back