What's new
What's new

Line boring

Trevor34

Plastic
Does anyone have any interesting portable line boring pictures or stories? I have done center articulations, buckets, booms, frames and bores. Just thought I would share a few pictures and short clips.
7d8948d2107cbd617e25eebc6498ade5.jpg

https://vimeo.com/147810829
c176eb32ea8f241b29589694aa3d4f5f.jpg
095427bd4eb84261ee775249ec68b4a0.jpg

Question for you, is the white transmission cast iron or cast steel? If it's cast iron what wire are you running and do you over bore it before welding? Thanks for the pics Ron

This piece is cast steel. We were using .035" 70S-6 wire. I have never welded cast bores with a wire - only electrodes. I wonder if there would be a cast wire suitable for bore welding?

Hi Trevor
Nice work can you tell use about the welding unit maker and picture how small of bore and big can it do. Do you have to move it over by hand or does it advance on a feed setting ?

Collector

This is a climax bore welder - BW1000. It feeds automatically on a spiral and has a 1/8" pitch "lead screw". I think the range of holes is 7/8" up to 12". The smallest holes I have ever done were about 1.25" diameter and 1.5" deep. The limiting factor for larger holes is the rotation speed. I think there is a reduction add on you can get. The nicest part about this system is the integration with the climax line boring. You put your drive bar in the holes to be repaired. Slide cones over either end of the bar and into the holes for alignment. Weld on the bearings. Slide off the cones and remove the bar. Then the bore welder mounts to the bearings that are welded on. They are in line with the holes and ready for welding. After welding, you slide your bar backing through the bearings and start machining.

Last edited:
007c2c3f0dad0c9553e6b4b3de04e51b.jpg
1a947e489216f7f45e04829cab6cbecf.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures of a smaller hole. These were worn out threaded holes. I think they were 1-1/2" NC. I drilled them out oversized in the radial arm drill and then bore welded them up. Bored them out again in the radial arm drill to the tap drill size and then power tapped them. Not line boring, but an example of smaller bore welded holes.
Trevor

Nice work-thanks for posting.

I assume most of the repair work you do is from when they don't properly lubricate parts in the field or just run it till it breaks?

I am guessing the welder and line boring system would be around $15000....just guessing though. I can't remember what we paid for it.

I don't think a helicoil repair for this application would be as good a fix. I have actually never helicoiled any threads larger than 1".....

Ewlsey....thanks for the awesome pictures. Before purchasing our Climax we had made our own unit as well, but nothing even close to as nice as this. What are you using to drive the bar? What rpm does it turn? What size bar is in the pictures?

It's a Skil 123 3/4" drill. It runs 375 RPM with no load. The picture shows a 1" boring bar which is great for this small bore on a Bobcat. I plan to make a 1.5" bar for bigger work.

Lineboreing a boat transporter/Crain
1.9375 boring bar at 22 rpm about a 8.5"bore
IMG_0114.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,178
Great pictures!!!
In the third picture looks like laser alignment? How does that work? I've never used any laser alignment equipment.

Back