UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MT-2 Tapers

Hi,
    I'm new to these forums and may be in the wrong place. If so please tell me which sub-forum to use.

I want to use my taper attachment to set up an MT-2 taper. I purchased two sleeves: one with MT-2 internal and one MT-2 external. In measuring the MT-2 external sleeve which fits nicely into my MT-2 tailstock I noticed that the measurements of the bottom and top do not match with those given in the Machinery Handbook. The handbook says for MT-2 the large end is 0.7000 inches and the small end is 0.572 inches. Why do the measurements differ? Does anyone know of a good source that describes the making of an MT-2 taper in detail?

Thanks,

cmoller

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's essentially a contacting angle. Wouldn't matter if the fat end was 1.5" and the small .25" - as long as there's clearance and the angle's correct, it will fit and taper lock.
    The book gives a reference of approximate/typical size along that angle of measure, follow?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you and I understand, but I wonder why the Machinist Handbook gives explicit opening dimensions. Why not say a taper amounting to .49995 inches per inch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oldish thread......

But the opening sets the distance the male taper fits into the female taper. Makes sure the boring head doesn't bottom out on the nose of the socket before the taper contacts, makes sure a center actually sticks out, etc, etc.