What's new
What's new

O/T problems

Well, it's not going to help your situation that there'll be complaints that your thread title isn't descriptive enough.

But if you have general issues with fear of getting yelled at, it might be indicative of underlying issues that perhaps need a professional assessment. There's no (or should be no) stigma of needing help with mental heath, start checking out resources in your area.

Be your own advocate - sometimes difficult, but a worthwhile effort.

Why are you getting yelled at? Who is doing the yelling?

If you really are a “scrap maker”, I could see how a supervisor or boss may become irritated if you’re constantly bunging up parts. But that’s no reason to shout at someone. You should be given the tools (including help when necessary) to do whatever task you’ve been assigned. If the same mistakes are being made, maybe you’re just not up to the task and could be shuffed to something more suitable, even if temporarily.

No one should have to walk on eggshells at work, or at home. Get into a different situation if you’re stressed due to living in fear.

well it is my parents because i have a 70 in one class and i am not alowed to use my lathe until i get a 95 or higher in every class which is impossible

Last edited:
Boy- schooling is important and youd be well to do as your parents say. It may not seem like it now- but there will come a time in the very near future, where you be working your balls off somewhere wishing like hell you were still in school.
get some extra help if you need it. Change your attitude. NOTHING is impossible. Find a way. Or dont. Either way- such is life and the choice is yours. Noone can do it for you.

now my lowest grade is a 83% and 84% is above average it is really hard to get perfect grades because of covid you cant get the help i could get last year

12 years old

scrap maker - have you talked to your parents about your frustration and concern?

As a parent of five children, and grandparent to twelve, I know that sometimes we use deprivation of a privilege as a means of getting the attention of a child. However, to me, learning the proper use of tools and machinery is as important as other aspects of education. Don't neglect your 3 Rs (reading, 'riting, and 'rithmateic - in case you never heard of it) but appeal to them on the basis of what I have presented.

Love and respect your parents, they will always have your best interest in mind more than anybody else in the world.

scrap maker - have you talked to your parents about your frustration and concern?

As a parent of five children, and grandparent to twelve, I know that sometimes we use deprivation of a privilege as a means of getting the attention of a child. However, to me, learning the proper use of tools and machinery is as important as other aspects of education. Don't neglect your 3 Rs (reading, 'riting, and 'rithmateic - in case you never heard of it) but appeal to them on the basis of what I have presented.

Love and respect your parents, they will always have your best interest in mind more than anybody else in the world.

no, they will get mad and just go and yell even more so i will have to get my grades up and wait until they aren't mad, and my birthday is on saturday so i am trying really hard to get my grades up so that i can buy more tools for my lathe and be allowed to use my lathe,

Last edited:
no, they will get mad and just go and yell even more so i will have to get my grades up and wait until they aren't mad and my birthday is on saturday so hopefully i can get my grades up so that i can buy more tools for my lathe

You made mis-spellings, and can't even construct a sentence properly.

Slow down, proofread your postings (all of them) and understand that, how you present yourself means allot.

Slow down, proofread your postings (all of them) and understand that, how you present yourself means allot.

A lot. Not "allot", which means "give or apportion (something) to someone as a share or task".

Scrap Maker, it's tough, but be patient with both yourself and your parents. They doubtless mean well, but especially to a youngster that is trying to find his own way, they can seem overbearing sometimes.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to step back from the machine tools for the time being to concentrate on the school work. See if your school offers any Zoom or similar extra help, if needed.

Good luck, we hope things work out for you!

all of my grades are above average and i will be grounded until i get 95% in all of my classes because 81% and up is not good for them and they want me to be perfect

Last edited:
That will make you a way more successful than participation trophy parents. So count your blessings and quit your bitching.

I should have added an extra tbs of sarcasm

A friendly note of caution:

We're mostly older, and we're mostly all grumpy machinists and engineers. As such, we're not the most patient or the most forgiving of tomfoolery.

We're taking you at your word that you're a youngster who's interested in machining and is having some difficulties with your folks. I hope that you're being honest here, and not just another of the occasional trolls we get.

If you start getting an attitude, you'll find people will turn nasty quite quickly - it's just our nature. Chill, ignore those that are trying to rile you up, and if machining is your thing, read as many of the forum threads as you can - there's hundreds of lifetimes of education here, just waiting to be read and learned.

I hope you understand why I wrote the above. Please read it a few times if needed...

Back