Rust inhibitors comparison tests

• Thread starter Admin5
  • Start date
  • Replies 2
  • Views 8,556
A

Admin5

Posted by D. Thomas April 2002

I mentioned this study in a previous thread and there was some interest in the products tested and actual results, so here it is.

Testing was done in 1998 by Practical Sailor magazine (see link), which to those that don't know, is a sort of Consumer Reports for boating related acessories, that accepts no advertising, and is known for thorough testing.

Eleven anti corrosion products were tested and exposed to fresh and saltwater. 6 inch strips of unfinished mild steel were buffed until shiney, degreased and dried. Then the products were applied according to manuf. recommendations, using new cloths and applicators to avoid cross contamination. (there are more details about the applications but you get the picture) The fresh water strips were hung outside and periodicly doused with water, the saltwater strips were affixed to a bulkhead in a tidal cove, where they were submerged twice daily at high tide.

Conclusions were the CRC Heavy Duty was the clear winner in fresh and saltwater, bollowed by Bull Frog, and Lanacote paste. Also effective was Mariner's Choice Original Sea Spray, particularly for freshwater. They mention that because Bull Frog and Mariner's Choice perform better with thicker (and stickier) coats they would be better for metal parts one wouldn't be touching often, such as trailer springs.

Boeshield T-9 was the highest priced of all the products per ounce, with test results "fair" in freshwater and "poor" in salt. Permatex Silicone spray, Corrosion Block and MDR Metal wax were "poor" in both. CRC was "excellent" in both.

Curiously, they did not even test LPS-3, which I had mixed up with the CRC in my mind, so we still don't know how the LPS would compare to the CRC, but I suspect they would hold up about the same.

Re Boeshield, since it's the most popular here I'll elaborate more on it--- In their test, it succumbed rapidly to rust in the saltwater tests, but held up better in fresh, showing just a sprinkling of rust at first, more after a week. They retested a third strip, applying a much thicker coat, but again it showed fresh water related corrosion after a little more than a week. (My words going forward...It's main advantages are that it does spray on nicely, leaves a fairly clear surface, isn't too tacky after drying and smells ok. But IMHO, it's best for parts that are not subject to high humidity and will be used or finished within a few months time.

Boeshield was $1.72 per oz and CRC Corrosion Inhibitor was $.85 per oz...about half the cost.

Update- Lowes Building Supplies now carries a "Navel Jelly" brand anti rust spray that seems to be equivalent to LPS-3...smells and feels the same to me anyway...but is cheaper in cost.

Back