1886 Winchester trigger
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1886 Winchester trigger

I am working on an original 86 Winchester mfg 1891 45-70 , i think the trigger has been replaced it's a long heavy pull of 12 lbs, need it to be around 5 , i think the new trigger is to long any one know the length of the original triggers in these rifles ? any thoughts welcome and appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default After all these years...

A new trigger (or old one) may not work due to Hammer sear surface wear, No set measurement will be guaranteed to work... Hammer Sear work should be learned on cheap replaceable guns, not grand old Classics....

Angles of sear/trigger, fit of Hammer and trigger pins/screws.. and more to take into account.

From tone of this question, recommend you take to someone who has a lot of experience with this rifle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is it possible that Winchester would be willing to work on it? Sear angles scare me...
    F

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I work on these old guns a lot; actually that's all I work on. I'm in agreement with abarnsley, send it to someone what knows what to do.

Its one thing to work on a 1911 trigger/sear where replacement parts are readily available, if you screw up an 86 trigger/hammer what are you gonna do?

If you do end up working on it, I do make replacement hammers for the 1886, only $195 ea, blue or Color Case Hardened.

Mike Hunter
    Hunter Restorations
    WWW.Hunterrestorations.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok, thanks, this is a just found gun every thing on it is a little rusty and sticky, took it out today after a cleaning and heavy oiling, works better and frees up with every shot .the trigger may come around also. after a little more use.