What's new
What's new

1911 Ejector removal

Froneck

Titanium
I have a new unused Caspian 1911 frame. Has ejector installed, I can see it's held in with roll pin. I want to remove the ejector however using a Starrett 1/16" pin pinch or a Snap-On roll pin punch both jam into the hole in the roll pin. I tried the next size in the sets 3/32 but they are too big. I know they make 5/64" roll pins but when I try the back side of a 5/64" drill it will not fit in the hole! #50 (.070) drill will not fit but #51 (.067") will fit. But if the roll pin is 1/16" the punches should not get stuck inside them. Any ideas on how to get the Ejector off?Only thing I can think of is to cut it out with a 5/64" carbide end mill.

Maybe try a drop of Kroil, let it sit a while, and try again with the roll pin punch. If the punch doesn't fit the hole, measure it and see what is going on.

I have a new unused Caspian 1911 frame. Has ejector installed, I can see it's held in with roll pin. I want to remove the ejector however using a Starrett 1/16" pin pinch or a Snap-On roll pin punch both jam into the hole in the roll pin. I tried the next size in the sets 3/32 but they are too big. I know they make 5/64" roll pins but when I try the back side of a 5/64" drill it will not fit in the hole! #50 (.070) drill will not fit but #51 (.067") will fit. But if the roll pin is 1/16" the punches should not get stuck inside them. Any ideas on how to get the Ejector off?Only thing I can think of is to cut it out with a 5/64" carbide end mill.

Special "roll pin punches" are made, get a set.

CarlBoyd

When I don't have a Punch that fits, I make one. The belt grinder is useful for taking just a bit off the punch.

Always rotate the punch between hammer strikes to make sure it's still free in the hole.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

When making precision punches, I like to put the punch in an electric drill and turn it against the direction of the belt sander. Works well.

In making punches I usually find the right size drill rod and press/ loctite it into a bigger piece of drill rod. Add a little taper to the larger and it looks pretty also.

When I don't have a Punch that fits, I make one. The belt grinder is useful for taking just a bit off the punch.

Always rotate the punch between hammer strikes to make sure it's still free in
--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

Great idea to rotate the punch.

Back