Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 41V50 Tensile Strength? (4150 CroMoV)

This isnít an actual grade or specification of steel, but has become commonplace in rifle barrels. Iím trying to find what difference the addition of Vanadium makes to the ultimate and yield tensile strengths of 4150 in ordnance steels, and appreciate the help.

Iíve bought two blanks from Green Mountain listed as 41V50 that will be turned down to absolute minimum dimension for a thin wall double rifle, and would be helpful to get some tensile strength information (I have contacted Green Mountain for information on their supply, but no word yet).

Appreciate any information.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
    This isn’t an actual grade or specification of steel, but has become commonplace in rifle barrels. I’m trying to find what difference the addition of Vanadium makes to the ultimate and yield tensile strengths of 4150 in ordnance steels, and appreciate the help.

I’ve bought two blanks from Green Mountain listed as 41V50 that will be turned down to absolute minimum dimension for a thin wall double rifle, and would be helpful to get some tensile strength information (I have contacted Green Mountain for information on their supply, but no word yet).

Appreciate any information.
    Vanadium is added to improve "toughness" and make steels more shock and vibration resistant. As far as tensile strength is concerned... You would need to know the temper. Ultimate Tensile Strength could be anywhere from about 95Ksi annealed to more than 260Ksi as quenched. Yield would be roughly 60Ksi and 219Ksi respectively.

Post Thanks / Like

Less carbon, less manganese, more moly - scroll down a bit for comparisons. I'd guess LESS hardness and tensile for a given thermal processing as compared to its near neighbors

Barrel Steel: 4150, 4140, Chrome Moly, Chrome Moly Vanadium - AR15.COM

ph

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you both, for the record incase anyone else is curious I heard back on the particular steel Green Mountain is using, 149Ksi as delivered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
    Thank you both, for the record incase anyone else is curious I heard back on the particular steel Green Mountain is using, 149Ksi as delivered.

I'd like to see ELONGATION comparison - that is the indicator of TOUGHNESS