What's new
What's new

41V50 Tensile Strength? (4150 CroMoV)

Ardent

Plastic
This isn’t an actual grade or specification of steel, but has become commonplace in rifle barrels. I’m trying to find what difference the addition of Vanadium makes to the ultimate and yield tensile strengths of 4150 in ordnance steels, and appreciate the help.

I’ve bought two blanks from Green Mountain listed as 41V50 that will be turned down to absolute minimum dimension for a thin wall double rifle, and would be helpful to get some tensile strength information (I have contacted Green Mountain for information on their supply, but no word yet).

Appreciate any information.

This isn’t an actual grade or specification of steel, but has become commonplace in rifle barrels. I’m trying to find what difference the addition of Vanadium makes to the ultimate and yield tensile strengths of 4150 in ordnance steels, and appreciate the help.

I’ve bought two blanks from Green Mountain listed as 41V50 that will be turned down to absolute minimum dimension for a thin wall double rifle, and would be helpful to get some tensile strength information (I have contacted Green Mountain for information on their supply, but no word yet).

Appreciate any information.

Vanadium is added to improve "toughness" and make steels more shock and vibration resistant. As far as tensile strength is concerned... You would need to know the temper. Ultimate Tensile Strength could be anywhere from about 95Ksi annealed to more than 260Ksi as quenched. Yield would be roughly 60Ksi and 219Ksi respectively.

Thank you both, for the record incase anyone else is curious I heard back on the particular steel Green Mountain is using, 149Ksi as delivered.

Back