What's new
What's new

50 bmg action edm and laws

frank7mm

Plastic
Hello I am new here. I see from what I've read so far this site contains much info. I have two questions. One I am making a 50 BMG action and I have heard it is legal to make but I have to register it with the department of justice? If anyone can lead me in the right direction I would appericate it. My second question is in making my action I had planned on broaching the locking lugs in the action but if I could find someone who would edm them for me I would take that direction. There are several shop in my area but they do contracts and don't mess with the average guy.

shaper

I am getting ready to make a bolt action and I plan use a shaper for the lug area in mine. have you thought about that?

Unless the rules have changed you can make for yourself, not for sale, anything that you can legally buy, without any paperwork with the exception of nfa weapons.

One, I am making a 50 BMG action and I have heard it is legal to make but I have to register it with the department of justice?

Depends on the state you live in. I don't think there is any federal registration requirement.

welcome frank!!

no prob's in pa.

i plan on making one myself, with more of the holmes design, so lug ways will not be a problem.

i think it would be a good idea for someone to sell reasonablely priced "tubes" with the raceways in them, as long as the atf approved them as "non-firearms" (under 80%) and could be ordered without the hassle of paying transfer and finding a dealer!.

if you dont mind my asking, what part of pa??

im in the boonies in eastern central pa.

I'm in the northeast susquehanna county. My design will have the locking lugs the same diameter as the bolt body. If your interested PM me ,I have found some good action blanks 2" dia with most of the lathe work done fro $100.

Unless the rules have changed you can make for yourself, not for sale, anything that you can legally buy, without any paperwork with the exception of nfa weapons.

You are correct, the same rules still apply. It doesn't require serial numbers or registration of any kind. And you actually can sell it, you just can't make it with the INTENT of selling it. But if you transfer it to someone else, it does then need to be marked with serials, mfg name and place, etc.

Back