What's new
What's new

Which 50 BMG chamber!?

Kedyck

Plastic
Although the title may seem dramatic and the answer obvious at first glance I want to tap the knowledge on this forum once again. I haven't had much luck finding a used 50 chamber reamer so I will be going with a new one after all!

That leads me to the big question, which chamber should I go with?? I've asked a few manufacturers for specs on their rifles and the consensus seems to be that 50 US Ordnance is the common size, although I also like the idea of the US Ordnance match size (smaller neck and shorter freebore).

The issue here is that I'm not sure if the match chamber size will allow me to utilize bulk ammunition like XM33 and the such. If any of you have had experience with this I would appreciate your input! Thanks

I have a set of match BMG chamber reamers and headspace gauges that I would sell, but getting them across the US/Canada border puts them out of your reach. A shame, as I am starting to liquidate my shop as I am 71 years old.

The reamers are Hendrickson, a few chambers cut and they have been sent back for a touch up by Hendrickson, not used since.

Very High Power (The 50 BMG long range shooters) has all the info and a excellent publication. A membership fee would put in touch with all their archives. Google is your friend. I have seen match reamer dimensions in their publications. They also have a very good web site.

Yeah the border is a bummer some days but thanks for your input! I have the spec sheet from Manson for his reamers and will probably just take measurements from a handful of rounds to see if things will work. So far I have found that the free bore diameter on the match reamer is almost size for size with most of the bulk ammo I've measured (+/- .001). Not sure if that will be an issue or an asset. otherwise it seems that I might be able to get away with the match reamer.

Its not that I'm setting out to produce an uber precision rifle but after building a few of them in other calibers I suppose the tendency is to fret over the microns haha

SilveradoHauler, I sent you a private email some weeks ago. You sent me an email saying you posted on Practical Machinist, but I can't find your message here. I can't seem to reach you. After you sent to a reply, I replied to you, however, my email to your email address got bounced back by the server. So, talk to me. Am still interested in the reamers. Private email exchange is fine, I just need a valid email address.

G'Day Fella's,

Kedyck, are you chambering a Bolt Action rifle or a Self Loader?
I imagine the overall chamber dimensions for a Bolt Action chamber, would be smaller (and preferable), than that of a the Self Loader?

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Back