What's new
What's new

50 BMG Firing pin info ?

sas77

Plastic
Does anyone know of a Firing pin info for 50 BMG ?

Firing pin travel?
Firing pin tip diameter?
Firing pin protrusion?

Does anyone know of a Firing pin info for 50 BMG ?

Firing pin travel?

Travel is NOT what you really need... Striking force is. I don't recall where I got this info, but I found 100in/oz as a spec. for one of the .50BMG primers (may have been from one of the GD guys, may have been some idiot on the web). I used that in my BMG and have had ZERO FTF, ZERO hang-fires and ZERO pierced primers. I can't say that the number is right or wrong, but it has worked for me.

Firing pin tip diameter?

I looked at about a dozen .50BMGs and found them to be using a striker diameter of between .075" and .090" I decided to take an average and settled on .080". This is approximately what most I looked at were using. Again I have had ZERO issues.

Firing pin protrusion?

Again I compared MANY different .50 BMGs as well as other rifles. I found that generally protrusion was roughly equal to striker diameter. Based on MY findings I went with .080".

Again I can NOT say that any of this is much more than "by guess and by golly". But it has worked for me. Use at your own risk. I still consider my .50BMG prototype / experimental firearm.

Travel is NOT what you really need... Striking force is. I don't recall where I got this info, but I found 100in/oz as a spec. for one of the .50BMG primers (may have been from one of the GD guys, may have been some idiot on the web). I used that in my BMG and have had ZERO FTF, ZERO hang-fires and ZERO pierced primers. I can't say that the number is right or wrong, but it has worked for me.

I looked at about a dozen .50BMGs and found them to be using a striker diameter of between .075" and .090" I decided to take an average and settled on .080". This is approximately what most I looked at were using. Again I have had ZERO issues.

Again I compared MANY different .50 BMGs as well as other rifles. I found that generally protrusion was roughly equal to striker diameter. Based on MY findings I went with .080".

Again I can NOT say that any of this is much more than "by guess and by golly". But it has worked for me. Use at your own risk. I still consider my .50BMG prototype / experimental firearm.

Excellent synopsis, thank you for this information!

Work on a new model similar to the steyr Hs-50, with a change in the mechanism of action

ax.jpg

According to USGI specs for ammo acceptance testing using a Universal Receiver: Firing Pin Protrusion is .074" to .082", Firing Pin Indent is .020" to .025" in a SAMMI spec copper cylinder. Firing pin diameter is .077" to .078" with a nose radius of .040" to .045". This will ensure ignition of USGI Ammo.

According to USGI specs for ammo acceptance testing using a Universal Receiver: Firing Pin Protrusion is .074" to .082", Firing Pin Indent is .020" to .025" in a SAMMI spec copper cylinder. Firing pin diameter is .077" to .078" with a nose radius of .040" to .045". This will ensure ignition of USGI Ammo.

Thanks, MilGunsmith, that's exactly what I was looking for! You, sir, are a gentleman! :)

Back