50 BMG Firing pin info ?
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default 50 BMG Firing pin info ?

    Does anyone know of a Firing pin info for 50 BMG ?

    Firing pin travel?
    Firing pin tip diameter?
    Firing pin protrusion?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    295

    Default

    For what type of system? M2, M107, Universal Receiver? Each is different. I have a chart at work, can get it Monday.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    600
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    189
    Likes (Received)
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sas77 View Post
    Does anyone know of a Firing pin info for 50 BMG ?

    Firing pin travel?
    Travel is NOT what you really need... Striking force is. I don't recall where I got this info, but I found 100in/oz as a spec. for one of the .50BMG primers (may have been from one of the GD guys, may have been some idiot on the web). I used that in my BMG and have had ZERO FTF, ZERO hang-fires and ZERO pierced primers. I can't say that the number is right or wrong, but it has worked for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by sas77 View Post
    Firing pin tip diameter?
    I looked at about a dozen .50BMGs and found them to be using a striker diameter of between .075" and .090" I decided to take an average and settled on .080". This is approximately what most I looked at were using. Again I have had ZERO issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by sas77 View Post
    Firing pin protrusion?
    Again I compared MANY different .50 BMGs as well as other rifles. I found that generally protrusion was roughly equal to striker diameter. Based on MY findings I went with .080".

    Again I can NOT say that any of this is much more than "by guess and by golly". But it has worked for me. Use at your own risk. I still consider my .50BMG prototype / experimental firearm.

  4. Likes sas77 liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    For what type of system?
    Bolt Action Rifle
    firing-pin.jpg

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MIBill View Post
    Travel is NOT what you really need... Striking force is. I don't recall where I got this info, but I found 100in/oz as a spec. for one of the .50BMG primers (may have been from one of the GD guys, may have been some idiot on the web). I used that in my BMG and have had ZERO FTF, ZERO hang-fires and ZERO pierced primers. I can't say that the number is right or wrong, but it has worked for me.



    I looked at about a dozen .50BMGs and found them to be using a striker diameter of between .075" and .090" I decided to take an average and settled on .080". This is approximately what most I looked at were using. Again I have had ZERO issues.



    Again I compared MANY different .50 BMGs as well as other rifles. I found that generally protrusion was roughly equal to striker diameter. Based on MY findings I went with .080".

    Again I can NOT say that any of this is much more than "by guess and by golly". But it has worked for me. Use at your own risk. I still consider my .50BMG prototype / experimental firearm.

    Excellent synopsis, thank you for this information!

    Work on a new model similar to the steyr Hs-50, with a change in the mechanism of action

    ax.jpg

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    600
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    189
    Likes (Received)
    174

    Default

    Mine is basically a scaled up 700 with a few tweaks. Fun project!

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    295

    Default

    According to USGI specs for ammo acceptance testing using a Universal Receiver: Firing Pin Protrusion is .074" to .082", Firing Pin Indent is .020" to .025" in a SAMMI spec copper cylinder. Firing pin diameter is .077" to .078" with a nose radius of .040" to .045". This will ensure ignition of USGI Ammo.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    According to USGI specs for ammo acceptance testing using a Universal Receiver: Firing Pin Protrusion is .074" to .082", Firing Pin Indent is .020" to .025" in a SAMMI spec copper cylinder. Firing pin diameter is .077" to .078" with a nose radius of .040" to .045". This will ensure ignition of USGI Ammo.
    Thanks, MilGunsmith, that's exactly what I was looking for! You, sir, are a gentleman!


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •