What's new
What's new

50 bmg handloader

Pyro117

Plastic
Hi im new to whole machinest thing but was currious if i bought the metal. Would some one who has more about machining be willing to make a 50bmg handloader. Like the lee classic loader. I like the way the concept is and you just need basic stuff, and there smaller and take up less room than a full on table mounted turrent loader

polite answer is not a chance.
several reasons
1 not a good idea to start with
2 we do this for money not as a charity
3 those loaders don't work all that well on small stuff
4 when ever if I bought the metal is used,
usually means some one thinks that is the expensive part of the job.

now if you really want one made
provide a drawing with specifications,
post an RFQ and get out your wallet.
for starters go look at what PTG will charge for a reamer

Handloader for .50BMG... Good luck with that. I have one of the RCBS AmmoMaster presses. That monster has a HUGE mechanical advantage built into the lever/ram mechanics. Even so, it is a workout sizing brass. Unless your name is Dr. Bruce Banner, Forget about a hand loader for .50BMG and move on... I doubt such a creation would even work for 1% of the population. The forces needed to set back the shoulder on that case are well beyond the grip strength of most mortals and even a few demi-gods!!! Frankly, the $500+ the AmmoMaster set me back years ago was money well spent! Although I don't use it for anything other than the BMG. A slightly askew 30/06 will be destroyed before you can even feel the resistance on the lever.

Just make sure you mount it to a sturdy and VERY heavy bench. Again the force required to size .50BMG is huge! If the bench is not heavy enough you will move the bench before you size the brass.

Mibill a really big hammer to smack it in to do the shoulder lol but thank you for your answer that was more the responce i was looking for i was currious if it was possible and if it woulf be worth it. Not so much a money issure. I may try to make one just for kicks. I have a lee turrent press but its at a friends cause how big it is and im not sure if they make dies for that model i think it has its own press for 50bmg

Handloader for .50BMG... Good luck with that. I have one of the RCBS AmmoMaster presses. That monster has a HUGE mechanical advantage built into the lever/ram mechanics. Even so, it is a workout sizing brass. Unless your name is Dr. Bruce Banner, Forget about a hand loader for .50BMG and move on... I doubt such a creation would even work for 1% of the population. The forces needed to set back the shoulder on that case are well beyond the grip strength of most mortals and even a few demi-gods!!! Frankly, the $500+ the AmmoMaster set me back years ago was money well spent! Although I don't use it for anything other than the BMG. A slightly askew 30/06 will be destroyed before you can even feel the resistance on the lever.

Just make sure you mount it to a sturdy and VERY heavy bench. Again the force required to size .50BMG is huge! If the bench is not heavy enough you will move the bench before you size the brass.

Good thing lee loaders only neck size rifle brass then...

Not sure what you mean by lee loaders only neck size rifle brass. Are you trying to say they dont make a loader for 50bmg .cause they do,but it has its own loading device so the dies fit. Also depending how you look at it 50bmg may be machinegun ammo but is use alot as a rifle caliber now.

Found this when I was working up your quote Screenshot_20200615-102012_Chrome.jpg
This makes perfect sense because as said above the force needed to full length size is huge!

I may be missing something but as mentioned Lee already makes a classic 50 BMG loading press, as well as RCBS. The presses and dies for reloading 50 BMG are on the market. Yes you could have someone make one, but I am betting it is going to run 3-4 times what a lee or RCBS would, so the question sis WHY make one vs buy ?

Also lee make a full length resizing die for the 50 BMG, it really is not all that hard, but step sizing is recommended.

I like odd stuff i guess no real reason not to buy the kit i was just currious if it could be done. If i make it now it would be just for kicks .
sealark37 i just seen your replay where the heck did i say i owned an M2HB i dont recall specific detail on the weapon but its a maddi griffin single shot .cstrickland i know they make a press i was just currious if it was possible to make a handloader, but as mibill stated sizing that case would be hard .i didnt account for that to tell truth that was why i thanked mibill for his responce cause it waa helpfull and makes since.

Mibill can you message me id like ask you more about this and reloading this round if you dont mind thank you

And sooner or later you WILL need to bump the shoulder back... What then?

Not my problem
OP wants a tool I can make it's that simple
Im a machinist not a financial advisor/reloading instructor

I fully expect the OP to know what he wants/needs

could you use one yes would probably be a pain to use
that's still a lot of neck to size, lot of bullet to seat.

for what it takes resource wise you want every round to be as perfect as possible.
never been that happy with stuff I got using one of those Lee classics.

remember not only do you need to get the die over the case,
you also have to get the case back out with out damage.

was I to actually make one would probably start with a Lee or RCBS neck sizing die
just not so inclined.

A simple inline hydraulic device ...could be made from the junk in my yard..for zero material cost .......If you cant design a simple device to use the Lee die set,then youll never succeed in backyard mechanics and makin stuff outa junk.

A simple inline hydraulic device ...could be made from the junk in my yard..for zero material cost .......If you cant design a simple device to use the Lee die set,then youll never succeed in backyard mechanics and makin stuff outa junk.

you have a better junk in your yard then most of us.
not sure it would be any more compact then a RCBS press
nice electric pump or a old powersteering pump and a B&S gas engine
would take the Armstrong factor out of it.

Yep ,no one wants to do anything for themselves any more .....mindset of the millenial ....was putting a head gasket in the pickup (quote $4000) ,when a couple of millenials walking by call me out ......ya not allowed to work on cars ,ya know ......has to be done in a shop ....Who says so ?.........we re gunna report ya !

Hi im new to whole machinest thing but was currious if i bought the metal. Would some one who has more about machining be willing to make a 50bmg handloader. Like the lee classic loader. I like the way the concept is and you just need basic stuff, and there smaller and take up less room than a full on table mounted turrent loader

Uh, yea... no.

As many have already explained, you don't seem to appreciate the forces involved.

I've made a Corbin bullet-swaging press from bar stock in the past, and I think when I go to make a .50 BMG press, I'll riff off the Corbin-style press design for my .50 BMG press. These bullet-swaging presses allow for some ferocious mechanical advantage, and the presses are built like tanks to take the forces involved.

Back