What can a chileno mauser safely be rebarrled to?thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Chilean Mauser is a '95 pattern which is not recommended for high pressure cartridges. What year was it manufactured?

What would you like to rebarrel it to?

[This message has been edited by GGaskill (edited 05-25-2004).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not sure of the year it was made.
    Its is i the L65xx range though.
    I am thinking in the 243 or 270 somthing small that will hit a target 200 yards

Or would I be better off to leave it as a 7mm
    TY

[This message has been edited by zero (edited 05-25-2004).]

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Both of those cartridges are high pressure ones and would not be a good choice for a '95 Mauser action. The .270 Win is basically a deer cartridge and the 7 X 57 would be virtually as good. .243 Win is a combination varmint/deer cartridge and the closest you could come within the limitations of a '95 Mauser is something like .250 Savage or .257 Roberts. Both are significantly less powerful but still good cartridges. The issue with both is how easily you can get brass and/or ammo.

200 yards is well within the range of 7 x 57 and unless your planned use for the rifle points toward something else, I would stick with 7 x 57.

What do you want to use the rifle for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am interested in using the rifle for target shooting is all. It still has the original barrel, I have yet to determine how good the barrel is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It should be good for that. You can get match grade bullets from Sierra for 7mm.

The existing barrel will have to be shot to see how good it is unless it is obviously shot out. Clean it thoroughly before using to get the best results. Some of those South American rifles were never fired as their governments were afraid that giving ammunition to the troops would cause their (the government's) demise.

[This message has been edited by GGaskill (edited 05-26-2004).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

.........There are no flies whatsoever on the 7x57 with the ballistics it was born with. A 175gr slug at just over 2400 fps has way more going for it then paper ballistics suggest.

For 200 yard shooting if your barrel is up to the task, you need nothing more then mild loads in the cartridge anyway. I have 6 rifles in 7x57 (one sporter, 5 old militaries) and they all do excellent work. 99% of my shooting is cast lead over the issue iron sights and they're a joy to shoot.

If your rifle is a full up, un-fooled with military in good or better condition, you could sell it for about half of what a brand new Savage (a way under publisized rifle) in 270 or 243 would cost, and would be safe to use with any book load.

Best,
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A trip to the range is planed. I do need to practice with a scope all, I have ever firedd is through steel sights should be fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a small ring Mauser in 7x57. It is an excellent weapon. It doesn't shoot as flat as a 270, but it is very accurate and very pleasant to shoot. I have used it on deer and pronghorn with complete satifaction. I have also shot elk with it and worked fine, but I think it is a little on the light side for that use. The reason it worked well on the elk is that it is very accurate and I had excellent shot placement. To get brass for it go to midwayusa.com they have it, It is good quality and the price is fair. Needless to say I am very happy with a 7x57 and feel no need for a "hotter' round. Enjoy Mike S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made it to the range. I had intersting resultes, I determined that I hate the triger, it is way to touchy. I was able to place five rounds with in a one inch dia group at 25yrds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

.........Zero, well 25 yards is an okay place to start if you're unsure of your sights. But for a high power centerfire that really isn't going to tell you a whole bunch about the rifle or load's capabilities. The bullet has barely realized it's not inside the barrel anymore at 25 yards.

Best,
    Rick