Action Bedding
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Action Bedding

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all .. just looking for useful tips and tricks on action bedding .. I have a brownell glass kit .. but don't like it that much .. going to go with Marine-Tex ..

Whats everones favorite bedding material and release agent..

Oh .. pillar bedding in this case..
    Milled out an area around the top of the pillar .. the pillars are epoxied into place
    and now its time for the bedding compound ..

I am mostly going by the AGI Pillar Bedding video .. with Darrell Holland in it ..

How forgiving is bedding compound if it gets
    on receiver screw threads ?? Should I crack the screws every so often while the bedding compound is drying ?

thanks all

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

lan what action, with bottom metal or not?

these are biggies. If the pillars are already mounted hope you got the alignment right, I dont have the AGI video, so dont know if you aligned them.

I dont use marintex, I use DEVCON TI, Devcon F, or the devcon with the Stainless steel in it. Depending on the action you can use paste wax, Pam, EVA release it dries into a thin film.

[This message has been edited by Schulze (edited 08-11-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

remington 600 action ( xp 100 )

Single shot , no magazine..

Aligned as best as I know how ..
    They are just glued in ..
    not bedded yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok PULL THEM OUT if you can. then screw them on tight with the action screws ok. might have to make a shim for the trigger gaurd. slap on some epoxy on the pillars. that ensures proper tension and alignment. then put tape on the stock and release agent on the entire action. slowly slide the action with pillar down into the stock. then use a clamp on the front bridge or wrap it with IV rubber tubeing. I think it is better to use a small furniture clamp that way you can scrape the excess off the stock.

Hope that helps. if not give me a hollar email in profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I glued the pillars in .. I attached them to the action and aligned the action with a level and let the glue set .. I used 5 minute epoxy ..

If I do it the way you said .. then the devcon will ooze out the pillar holes on the bottom of the stock ..

The rear screw screws in from the top of the action , so I had to thread the pillar ..

I think the reason he epoxies the bottom of the pillars is so the bedding doesnt flow out the bottom ..

but I still am concerned about getting bedding material on the screw threads ..

If I work them a few times every so often ..
    they should set up ?

I can email offline .. but think the back and forth comments will help others as well ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok I am confused now. do your pillars have ribs cut in them? If not those are the type you should use. you just put a little devcon or what ever around the pillar. it should actually wipe up and filled areas in those grooves and force into the actoin area. that way no devcon get's into the pillars or thread areas. do you get americna rifleman? they had a good series in June and July on pillar bedding

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Use modeling clay to fill any holes, were you don't want bedding, and dip the screws in Johnsons past wax, then the Devcon won't set so bad that you can,t brake them loose.

[This message has been edited by Kurt Westfall (edited 08-12-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok lets see if I can answer everything..

-- I made the pillars .. yes they are ribbed.

-- I have release agent for the screws, will that be enough? or should I use the wax ?

-- and yes I have modeling clay as I do ceramics here as well .. I knew about the clay.. I was mostly conserned about the threads.. cause the front action screw
    threads are short so the actio will go into
    the bedding material long before the screw engages the threads.. I was going to put a piece of scotch tape over the top of the pillars while I put the bedding compound in the action , then peel it off when I'm ready to put the action in . This was in hopes that I would get closer to engaging the threads before the bedding material tried to go up into the thread area ..

Sorry for the confusion ..
    Still learning here ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you tryed a longer front screw? Any 1/4 x 28 tpi will do. I have cut the heads off and just sliped them in the pillars after screwing them to the action. wax, or release the inside of the pillars and the serews. If you use ones that are thearded to the head you can put a nut on to draw them up tight. Cut a slot in the screws for a screwdriver so you can brake them loose, or use a vise-grip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kurt .. good idea .. ya got me thinkin
    Couldn't I use a long one like you said ..
    BUT, put a nut on it first ..
    Leave the head
    Make sure I can engage the threads BEFORE the action reaches the bedding compound.
    Then .. use the nut to tighten it up
    like you mentioned ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds good to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did what I said with the bolt and the nut .. It worked quite well .. Thanks for everyones help ..