What's new
What's new

Ammo...........non existent like fairy dust........

david n

Diamond
I'm so sick of ammo shortages. I just want some rounds for the kids and I to plink/target shoot/clays. Might end up canceling this year's prairie dog shoot. This time 'round is nothing like a few years back when Barry was in office. It's like the perfect storm. Ammo manufacturers got behind due to the Chicom Plague, then add in the idiototic BLM protests, and now the bumbling dope and his commie sidekick taking office this week. And then we got morons hoardin' like it's toilet paper. Sheesh..............just needed to rant a bit..........................

No Pdogs in MN..........the kids and I usually make an annual trip to either SD/ND depending on the population report from the ranchers

If you just want to rant like a 2 year old, take it somewhere else. This site has enough ridiculous political crap going on already.

I have been following pretty closely.
Prices peaked and the started to fall with stocking levels getting filled out again.
The 6th pushed back hard but I don't see anything but a return to decent prices and stocking levels coming back pretty quickly.
Like most folks I have some ammo for each caliber I shoot and just moderate supplies for each- I don't and won't sweat it.
Just wait it out- try not to hoard cases as supply comes back and everyone will have enough to get out to the range if they care to.

here in So Cal 22LR,9mm Luger and 45ACP is unobtanium.

I managed to buy the last 2 boxes of 22LR they had at Riflegear yesterday. Went past AmmoBros on the way home, according to the board outside they were out of just every caliber I've heard of.

The guy behind the counter at RifleGear didn't seem to think the supply of ammo was going to improve until at least June '21.

A friend in Vegas was telling me a few years ago he had 30'000 rounds of various calibers, never missed a sale to stock up. I thought he crazy, I don't think that now.

I have been following pretty closely.
Prices peaked and the started to fall with stocking levels getting filled out again.
The 6th pushed back hard but I don't see anything but a return to decent prices and stocking levels coming back pretty quickly.
Like most folks I have some ammo for each caliber I shoot and just moderate supplies for each- I don't and won't sweat it.
Just wait it out- try not to hoard cases as supply comes back and everyone will have enough to get out to the range if they care to.

"don't see anything but a return to decent prices and stocking levels coming back pretty quickly."

Define "quickly".

Each and every time any local, state, or federal agency/administration mentions anything regarding firearms ammo prices increase and back order time increases.

Just as I said- prices will roll down before I get a chance to shoot through the little bit of ammo I have so quick enough for me.

It looks like these are typically two year events and we got going in 2019 so I suspect this year will see prices sorted.
But it could be five years and I wouldn't sweat it personally.
The people I know who hunt and get out to the range feel pretty much the same- they have some ammo put aside and will just wait it out.

E167CB2E-B3FF-4523-BAC5-963DFA37996C.jpg

I want to try my hand at reloading so I'd like to see some primers in stock but patience I have.
Lots of things always need tending to.
It is relaxing to get out to the range and I still can for the foreseeable future.
If I can't there are plenty of other things to turn my attention to.

"Panic buying" is what drives these shortages- the fewer of us in that crowd the better..

"Panic buying" is what drives these shortages- the fewer of us in that crowd the better.."

Just add it to "TP", N95 masks, ammo, Lysol, Nitrile gloves and on, and on, and on. Some call it panic buying or hoarding. For many it becomes a $$$$$$ opportunity.

This time around there is NOTHING on the shelf. The old man asked me to pick him up a couple of boxes for his .410 (his eyesight aint what it once was) to take care of the red squirrels. Been to the store twice in the last 2 weeks.....o
The only thing on the shelf is a few very pretty boxes with some over priced 12 ga turkey losds for the guys who like pretty boxes.

"Panic buying" is what drives these shortages- the fewer of us in that crowd the better.."

Just add it to "TP", N95 masks, ammo, Lysol, Nitrile gloves and on, and on, and on. Some call it panic buying or hoarding. For many it becomes a $$$$$$ opportunity.

Yeah I was talking to a shop owner down on the Eastern Shore- nice guy who said he just is trying to meet his customers needs but they are making it tougher.

Said one of his long time clients has been buying a single box of 30-06 each year for decades- this year he came in and needs lots more.
He was pretty blunt- it was making it harder for him to keep stock for everyone.

Yeah- and scalpers are out in force.
I follow CCI 41's as a price point for the primer market- these damn things are like Bitcoin.
Overnight the market price doubled on the 6th after having dropped gradually down for months.
Folks are shelling out 30 to 80 cents EACH right now..

What the market will "bear"...
One thing I don't do is chase price- I have time enough to wait for price to come to me- I'm not running after it but many seem willing to.

7 million new gun owners this year didn't help (but it's pretty cool to see that many new shooters)..............

Oh let's see....a 20 round box for each sale.....

Excluding the political angle to this it would be interesting to see the impact in other ares.

Rifle barrel blanks are real tough to come by so I wonder if the lead times and price on certain steel products are impacted.

Budget impact in regards to firearm training and qualification for law enforcement. The last time around one agency was forced to purchase at whatever the market price was. $$$$$

At a buck a shot gonna be real expensive for taxpayers making sure their agency is up to date on quals.

7 million new gun owners this year ............
Wow, that is nuts. Does that number include shotguns and other?
How many are "shooters"?
The wife wants a handgun and a CPL because of the fear she sees on social media.
I keep saying no and she gets mad at me. She has never pulled a trigger on even a 22 rifle in her life but wants a big bang short pistol to carry.
She wants to be "A bad ass Moma". Where did this come from? How did the world change?

Guns where once about hunt and food, now it seems about something I do not understand.
It has gone wild and off the charts.
Bob

During WW2, the total small arms ammo production was 47 billion rounds for about 5 years. A tad under 10 billion rounds a year. That included smaller crew served weapons, but I am not sure if it included .50 caliber machine gun rounds. But my guess is that it did.

Current US production (not including imports) is around 10 billion rounds a year, and has been for some time now.

Back