Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MIBill View Post
    From this morning...

Attachment 311096

I found MORE than 50 sources stating .22lr in stock. Prices ranging from $0.33/round to over $1.50/round. 17 of those are $0.40/round or less. Prices are up...

9mm...

Attachment 311097

MORE than 80 sources IN STOCK with prices ranging from $0.72/round to well over $2.00/round. More than 30 at $1.00/round or less. I can buy 9MM FOR $1.00/ROUND all day long LOCALLY.

Kinda wonderin' WHY he's NOT coming up with all this ammo in stock? I'm having ZERO problems finding it... I'm just not a buyer right now.
    .33 a round for 22LR... That's NUTZ! No one should be a "buyer" at that cost.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How is any of this gunsmithing related?

--
    Pat Jones
    Firestone CO

3. Likes gbflyer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    .33 a round for 22LR... That's NUTZ! No one should be a "buyer" at that cost.
    I rather agree! But then again It's not an issue I need to deal with. I'm good for now... And later...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm guessing most purchasers are a box or two kind of people who price per round does not really matter much as they just don't get out to the range very often.
    But... they are probably accounting for most sales and drive prices.
    Target shooters and others who are more the case lot purchasers get their game effected by high prices but also generally have some ammo set aside as they never buy single box lots.

I mean who in their right mind would buy anything but a 5k case of 22...
    Apparently most people.

6. Likes MIBill liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1) I can appreciate those that have noted that a gunsmithing site may not be the best place for political/social views. However as our e-media is now censoring patriotic/social views, it is a service to Patriots to allow them here.

2) There is nothing about the ammo shortage that is technical in nature. Rollin White was making rimfire ammo in the 1850's (160 years ago.)

3) The costs are not production related. Every lively market grows by producing more by more efficient production methods. It applies to smart phones, computers, Nike shoes, and appliances. Govt. taxes and inflation may add to the cost paid by consumers, but production becomes more efficient with demand.

4) Start up costs and investment risks are not a concern. It may be risky to invest in manufacturing of a new product such s musical cat collars, but ammo isn't new and has a strong track record.

5) The time lag is nonsense. We've had ammo shortages for many years. Yet in years past, when Wal*Mart was running low on Beanie Babies just before Christmas, one phone call to China was all that was needed to ramp up production and fill consumer needs. How many other markets are guaranteed the immediate sales of everything they can produce as is the ammo market?

6) To ignore the possibility that our government, after already stating that they want to restrict firearms and their ownership, would not be complicit in the ammo shortage, is the height of naiveté.

6)If you think there is a shortage of ammo because some people hoard, then you must believe that there is a shortage of gold because some people hoard. Or a shortage of can openers because some people hoard. Shortages are only temporary until markets increase production.

7) Stop bashing the people that had the good sense to buy when ammo was plentiful and now make it available when there is a shortage. Same is true for generators, petroleum and potable water. Investors gambled and took risks to make it available to you today.
    If you don't like the price, don't buy.

And if you don't like my views on a Gunsmithing site, just move on.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In another price/scarcity related matter....copper is now back at historic highs of around $8000US/ton......So you can expect higher prices for brass components to persist after the scarcity ends.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Turners Outdoorsman had 22LR in stock, 500rnd max per day. So bought 500rnds of Armscor for $40. Will be back in the morning. It's been the first 22LR they've had for a while.

I had been looking at 22LR on gunbroker.com, other than the ridic prices, most vendors don't ship to CA. And if they did it's a $40 transfer fee at my local range.

So I'll stock up when I can

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    In another price/scarcity related matter....copper is now back at historic highs of around $8000US/ton......So you can expect higher prices for brass components to persist after the scarcity ends.
    #1 clean copper -- think copper wire stripped of insulation ... was approx $2.80 per pound small quantity.yesterday.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pat_j0nes View Post
    How is any of this gunsmithing related?

--
    Pat Jones
    Firestone CO
    If you are test firing what you repair or manufacture cost and availability can be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I can report- If you have been thinking of selling anything NOW is a good time to do it.
    I just sold off a couple of things that brought twice what they should have.
    I'll sell some more while the feeding frenzy is still hot- I have to much crap anyways and it will be good to send some of it down the road..

13. Likes MetalCarnage, 72bwhite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Politics and guns go hand in hand, if you don't understand that you are deluding yourself. Over here where i am, centrefire pistols were banned after a crime gang shot someone, a case of mistaken identity, nothing to do with legally held firearms. You cannot buy airgun pellets unless you produce a valid and relevent licence. A serving policeman trying to import a new wooden stock for his rifle had it confiscated and had to resort to a court case to both retrieve it and clear his name (being accused of illegally importing firearms). It probably only cost him six months salary for legal council. And all the while we are told its for the safety of the public.

It'll be the same for you, your property disappearing, your homes raided, and you are told its for your own good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is not just ammo.
    A friend owns one of the largest carbide special tool fabricator shops in the USA for the last 50 years.
    He branched out and started making guns on the side. The carbide shop is way down and the gun shop can not keep up with demand.
    Bob

16. Likes michiganbuck, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one thing that isn’t selling locally is ARs

Minne 14 and M1A you can get a good price.
    Anything in 9mm 40 cal 45acp 38, 357 will sell in less then a week for what a new one goes for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

lithium seems toe in order.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ronan View Post
    Politics and guns go hand in hand, if you don't understand that you are deluding yourself. Over here where i am, centrefire pistols were banned after a crime gang shot someone, a case of mistaken identity, nothing to do with legally held firearms. You cannot buy airgun pellets unless you produce a valid and relevent licence. A serving policeman trying to import a new wooden stock for his rifle had it confiscated and had to resort to a court case to both retrieve it and clear his name (being accused of illegally importing firearms). It probably only cost him six months salary for legal council. And all the while we are told its for the safety of the public.

It'll be the same for you, your property disappearing, your homes raided, and you are told its for your own good.
    The guy with They will have to pry my gun from my...will find out that a gun hidden in the wallboards will be of little use.

I hope tht never happens but sure enough it has happened in many countries.

20. Likes ronan, partsproduction liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brainwashing is so effective that when we gun owners are made a low percentage, the never have touched a gun people will vote us right out of our guns.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would say you are very fortunate that some 52% of the USA population owns a gun,that makes the scenario of confiscation highly unlikely ,and politically impossible........Sometime ago ,Obama came here for a paid ($300,000 of taxpayer money) lecture tour ,and in a (paid) interview with the ABC ,said that he wanted to move against ARs ,but the Democrat heirachy was certain it would lead to electoral wipeout for many Democrats,......but Obama also said ,had he realised the serious structural weakness within the NRA,he would have gone ahead .....Now of course ,the NRA is no longer feared by Democrats,and there is also a new breed of politicians who arent just seatwarmers ,and are willing to push agendas no matter.

23. Likes MetalCarnage, seagiant liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I would say you are very fortunate that some 52% of the USA population owns a gun,that makes the scenario of confiscation highly unlikely ,and politically impossible........Sometime ago ,Obama came here for a paid ($300,000 of taxpayer money) lecture tour ,and in a (paid) interview with the ABC ,said that he wanted to move against ARs ,but the Democrat heirachy was certain it would lead to electoral wipeout for many Democrats,......but Obama also said ,had he realised the serious structural weakness within the NRA,he would have gone ahead .....Now of course ,the NRA is no longer feared by Democrats,and there is also a new breed of politicians who arent just seatwarmers ,and are willing to push agendas no matter.
    Very accurate assessment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So this has been a hot topic of ours for a number of weeks. I remember when I used to buy 15-20 boxes of .22 Wildcats for $.86 each, or a couple of 500 bricks and we would head up to the range for a nice day of destroying cardboard targets and soda cans. The last couple of times I checked, there was none, not even the off-brand over-priced stuff, on the shelves. Last year I would stop in every week and buy a box or two of 9mm on sale, for $10-11 a box. Now it's $40-50 for the same thing, if they have any. The general consensus I am seeing is that it's primers that are holding up an increase in production. And with Remington going through all of their rampant stupidity for the last couple years means one of the only 4 manufacturers of primers in the country was not able to take advantage of demand. Hopefully they are back up to full production with the new owners.

The manufacture of primers is apparently rather nasty; the metal body and anvil are simple enough, but the pressure sensitive explosive inside is temperamental enough that it's still done mostly by hand apparently. It can't really be safely transported, and must be chemically mixed on site in small batches and prepared wet. A number of the ingredients themselves are tricky to even purchase, and some of them are just not available and must be made on site (lead azide or styphnate, holy crap that stuff is nasty), so it's not something that can be easily set up on a small scale. And I've not even been able to find the basic chemistry behind the newer, lead free primer compounds like Sintox. I've been half-heartedly looking into the feasibility of setting up a small primer manufacturing business, but the chemistry looks to be more a fairly massive undertaking.

26. Likes Trboatworks, partsproduction liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a group of priming compounds ,patented by Eley in the 1970s,that use a non explosive dry mixture placed into the cups (or 22 rimfire cases ),and activated by a drop of water .....which after a reaction period is dried off ......I suggest you look up the patents for these Eley mixes ,for further information......There was someone posting in Castboolits forum about these and many variations he had developed.....but its a touchy subject legally,and he deleted all his posts......but if you were really keen ,check Wayback Machine ,the posts may be preserved.

28. Likes Winterfalke, partsproduction liked this post