Ammo...........non existent like fairy dust........ - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 174
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maryland- USA
    Posts
    4,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2312
    Likes (Received)
    2897

    Default

    Yes primers.

    The simple work around of roll your own is impossible to set up at reasonable cost just now due to the shortage.
    I was just a few months late to the game as the stock disappeared just as I was setting up.


    Edit...

    And I watch price like any other commodity.
    To simplify matters I use GunBroker realized sales on CCI 41 small rifle primers and SGAmmo for IMI 5.56 in 20 round box plus general number of any brand in inventory.

    I do note this morning 5.56 is back in stock with 8 items and the IMI is a buck a round.
    Not great but a corner of sorts has turned as it was a couple of weeks with NO stock at any price.
    Between the pandemic panic and the 6th result IMI had rolled down to $.63 and given time would have fallen far further.
    I take the recent run up as just another little bump in price in the whole episode and we will still see price roll over and get back to normal soon enough.



    But hell- steel case Russian is on the shelves for $.75 RIGHT NOW........ times are good so stop your whinging LOL

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Yes primers.

    The simple work around of roll your own is impossible to set up at reasonable cost just now due to the shortage.
    I was just a few months late to the game as the stock disappeared just as I was setting up.


    Edit...

    And I watch price like any other commodity.
    To simplify matters I use GunBroker realized sales on CCI 41 small rifle primers and SGAmmo for IMI 5.56 in 20 round box plus general number of any brand in inventory.

    I do note this morning 5.56 is back in stock with 8 items and the IMI is a buck a round.
    Not great but a corner of sorts has turned as it was a couple of weeks with NO stock at any price.
    Between the pandemic panic and the 6th result IMI had rolled down to $.63 and given time would have fallen far further.
    I take the recent run up as just another little bump in price in the whole episode and we will still see price roll over and get back to normal soon enough.



    But hell- steel case Russian is on the shelves for $.75 RIGHT NOW........ times are good so stop your whinging LOL

    Observation regarding your ammo pricing.

    Online pricing. Per round cost often gets impacted by shipping + sales tax + 3% CC fee (no always).

    Certain ammo sites for weeks have never even had a link to sellers who had large quantities and would sell out hundreds-of-thousands of rounds in minutes. By the time you find it on a search engine so has everyone else and it's gone gone gone.

    Even brass cases ammo carries a liability of where is can be used if the projectile is magnetic. 62gr "green tip" 5.56mm is one loading that some shun.

    Guns and ammo buying is driven somewhat by emotion. But everyone knows that. Come Friday see what the news is on hedge funds and the market, and see what the next EO is that Biden signs.

    We ain't even close to "times are good" concerning ammo at $1. per round. Unless of course your cost is $0.50 per round.

    BTW---hi cap mags. $$$$ Anyone got an "in" at D&H in Wisconsin, or MagPul?

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maryland- USA
    Posts
    4,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2312
    Likes (Received)
    2897

    Default

    "Certain ammo sites for weeks have never even had a link to sellers who had large quantities and would sell out hundreds-of-thousands of rounds in minutes. By the time you find it on a search engine so has everyone else and it's gone gone gone."

    Valid observation which supports my point.

    If exceptional effort is required to secure an item it reveals something about that market density.
    Right now you can buy IMI for a buck a round with no special effort- that is the retail commodity price.

    What we want to see as consumers is that retail price point becoming more accessible- greater selection and falling prices.


    "We ain't even close to "times are good" concerning ammo at $1. per round."

    Why is communicating humor so elusive on the net....

    It was steel case Russian for $.75 by the way- certainly cause for celebration eh....

    Edit- I think I would be a buyer when IMI 55 grain falls back to about $.40
    But.... I have plenty of brass and want to reloading and I’m betting primers will show up again before that happens.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5844
    Likes (Received)
    6234

    Default

    It certainly is a bizarre time when run of the mill 115 grain FMJ 9mm sells for $99 a box! It wasn't that long ago I paid that for 250 or even 300 rounds, including a plastic ammo can.

  5. Likes triumph406 liked this post
  6. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    2,429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1790
    Likes (Received)
    1519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    It certainly is a bizarre time when run of the mill 115 grain FMJ 9mm sells for $99 a box! It wasn't that long ago I paid that for 250 or even 300 rounds, including a plastic ammo can.
    At turners Outdoors, I pay $30 for 50 FMJ 9mm (limit 200), and $40 for 500 22LR (limit 500) That's when it's in stock.

  7. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    10,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    572
    Likes (Received)
    8311

    Default

    Why is there a rush or shortage on ammo even in a 22?

  8. #107
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    2,429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1790
    Likes (Received)
    1519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Why is there a rush or shortage on ammo even in a 22?
    Lots of first time gun owners buying ammo, and people stocking up even when they don't need to (think toilet paper)

    22LR around here is the hardest to get, followed by 9mm and 45ACP.

    Last year around feb-march, if you went to AmmoBros, the line was around the building and down the block sometimes. Mid last year I needed some 22LR, Turners had it, they open at 10am, I got there at 9am, there was already 20 people in line. I didn't bother. Now it's not as bad as it once was.

  9. #108
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I'm so sick of ammo shortages. I just want some rounds for the kids and I to plink/target shoot/clays. Might end up canceling this year's prairie dog shoot. This time 'round is nothing like a few years back when Barry was in office. It's like the perfect storm. Ammo manufacturers got behind due to the Chicom Plague, then add in the idiototic BLM protests, and now the bumbling dope and his commie sidekick taking office this week. And then we got morons hoardin' like it's toilet paper. Sheesh..............just needed to rant a bit..........................
    So...since I was smart and bought more than what I would use in one sitting when everything was on sale the past several years, that makes me a moron hoarder, correct? You despise commies, yet you feel I should make available my stores to you out of fairness, correct? Kind of a contradiction there, no?

    A bit of advice for you based on recent history...when everything becomes available again, in a few to several years, instead of being the grasshopper maybe you should consider being an ant. Buy it cheap, stack it deep!

    This coming from a moron hoarder have to the smart capitalist have not.

  10. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Posts
    2,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1412
    Likes (Received)
    2830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Why is there a rush or shortage on ammo even in a 22?
    The ammo shortage that spiked after Sandy Hook was the first I noticed a real churn for .22lr. It made no sense other than people wanting to buy lots of ammo, and that's what they could afford and had a gun for, and could /find/.

    So now, every time there's a shortage, I think people panick that 22lr will go away again, and in a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy, rush to buy 22lr..... making it scarce.

  11. #110
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5844
    Likes (Received)
    6234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Why is there a rush or shortage on ammo even in a 22?
    Partly a surge of new shooters but also largely panic buying by those who fear that much more stringent controls are coming. Many of the newbies will grab up ANYTHING for sale, figuring they might be able to trade it later for what they want.

  12. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5844
    Likes (Received)
    6234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JNieman View Post
    The ammo shortage that spiked after Sandy Hook was the first I noticed a real churn for .22lr. It made no sense other than people wanting to buy lots of ammo, and that's what they could afford and had a gun for, and could /find/.

    So now, every time there's a shortage, I think people panick that 22lr will go away again, and in a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy, rush to buy 22lr..... making it scarce.
    One reason for high demand on .22 long rifle is bulk buying to get supplies from the same lot. Serious rimfire target shooters know that consistency and point of impact can vary quite a bit even with high grade target ammo.

  13. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Posts
    2,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1412
    Likes (Received)
    2830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    One reason for high demand on .22 long rifle is bulk buying to get supplies from the same lot. Serious rimfire target shooters know that consistency and point of impact can vary quite a bit even with high grade target ammo.
    Shirley serious target shooters also wouldn't be buying up cheap bulk Winchester white box shit for this purpose either. That makes sense if we're talking about some better Aguila and CCI stuff you'd see in the box stores, but I don't think that apply to the el cheapo stuff mostly for plinkin and squirrel braining

  14. #113
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1925
    Likes (Received)
    6027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Don. View Post

    This coming from a moron hoarder
    You said, it not me....................

    The problem with the recent "morons" is they have the "I'm out for nobody but myself" attitude.........or the "I've got mine. Screw everyone else" attitude...........(Great American Gun Right Patriots).............I picked up a 200 rnd box of 223 just last week(not cheap). Guy behind the counter asked if I wanted two boxes as that was the limit. I told him no, I'll leave some for the next guy...................He looked at me kinda funny, smiled, and thanked me.

  15. Likes JNieman, mhajicek liked this post
  16. #114
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    277
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Don. View Post
    So...since I was smart and bought more than what I would use in one sitting when everything was on sale the past several years, that makes me a moron hoarder, correct? You despise commies, yet you feel I should make available my stores to you out of fairness, correct? Kind of a contradiction there, no?

    A bit of advice for you based on recent history...when everything becomes available again, in a few to several years, instead of being the grasshopper maybe you should consider being an ant. Buy it cheap, stack it deep!

    This coming from a moron hoarder have to the smart capitalist have not.
    This is a typical auction purchase for me.

    dscn6889.jpg

  17. Likes MetalCarnage liked this post
  18. #115
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    You said, it not me....................

    The problem with the recent "morons" is they have the "I'm out for nobody but myself" attitude.........or the "I've got mine. Screw everyone else" attitude...........(Great American Gun Right Patriots).............I picked up a 200 rnd box of 223 just last week(not cheap). Guy behind the counter asked if I wanted two boxes as that was the limit. I told him no, I'll leave some for the next guy...................He looked at me kinda funny, smiled, and thanked me.
    Would expect your disdain for "morons" "I've got mine screw everyone else" would mean your willing to share your customer/client lists with those in need of CNC work. Obviously you are a generous person.

  19. #116
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1925
    Likes (Received)
    6027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    Would expect your disdain for "morons" "I've got mine screw everyone else" would mean your willing to share your customer/client lists with those in need of CNC work. Obviously you are a generous person.
    I have done that over the years...............guys startin' up or almost goin' under......................sent them work that didn't fit my facility or I couldn't get done.....................might as well give a kid away or start handin' out $20 bills to strangers on the street too......................some one might be without..............Loan my wife out too?

    But if ya wanna go down that road..............it'd be OK to buy up all the generators, bottled water, survival food during a natural disaster, hurricane, tornado, blizzard................I know Covid was/is a joke, but the folks hoardin last Spring must be among your ilk too?.


    I think folks that get their my-little-pony underoos in a bunch are the hoarders...................

  20. #117
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    425
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    396

    Default

    I think there's two camps to this. There's a lot of people who bought a little extra every time when things were plentiful(me), and it resulted in a nice little stock pile. I don't consider this hoarding. It's the people that clear the shelves in a panic buy that's the problem.

  21. Likes AARONT, mhajicek liked this post
  22. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1925
    Likes (Received)
    6027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    I think there's two camps to this. There's a lot of people who bought a little extra every time when things were plentiful(me), and it resulted in a nice little stock pile. I don't consider this hoarding. It's the people that clear the shelves in a panic buy that's the problem.
    Yup. I agree............that's it in a nutshell..................and obviously it strikes a nerve in the "panic" party when you/we point this out. They got their's.................

  23. Likes AARONT, mhajicek liked this post
  24. #119
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5844
    Likes (Received)
    6234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    I think there's two camps to this. There's a lot of people who bought a little extra every time when things were plentiful(me), and it resulted in a nice little stock pile. I don't consider this hoarding. It's the people that clear the shelves in a panic buy that's the problem.
    Same here. I took advantage of sales and got enough to keep me going with casual shooting for a while. In addition to having all sorts of things in different calibers, many of which I reload for I also enjoy muzzle loaders. Slower pace that conserves ammo and projectiles can be cast from scrap lead.

  25. #120
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I have done that over the years...............guys startin' up or almost goin' under......................sent them work that didn't fit my facility or I couldn't get done.....................might as well give a kid away or start handin' out $20 bills to strangers on the street too......................some one might be without..............Loan my wife out too?

    But if ya wanna go down that road..............it'd be OK to buy up all the generators, bottled water, survival food during a natural disaster, hurricane, tornado, blizzard................I know Covid was/is a joke, but the folks hoardin last Spring must be among your ilk too?.


    I think folks that get their my-little-pony underoos in a bunch are the hoarders...................
    "sent them work that didn't fit my facility or I couldn't get"....How generous of you...suppose your the guy who sacrifices the 5 years old dented can of rutabagas to the food drive and brags about feeding the needy.

    Anyway.... the offer to "loan your wife out" probably would require to post a pic of said wife considering ammo carries a $1K per thou value.

    Anyway...It would be interesting how you feel so superior to label people as hoarders.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •