Ammo...........non existent like fairy dust........ - Page 7
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 176
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1925
    Likes (Received)
    6035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    "sent them work that didn't fit my facility or I couldn't get"....How generous of you...suppose your the guy who sacrifices the 5 years old dented can of rutabagas to the food drive and brags about feeding the needy.

    Anyway.... the offer to "loan your wife out" probably would require to post a pic of said wife considering ammo carries a $1K per thou value.

    Anyway...It would be interesting how you feel so superior to label people as hoarders.
    So if I don't send work to another shop, I'm greedy? And if I do and mention it here, I'm a braggart?

    Rutabagas? What? I only put cream corn in the food shelf bin.................... and my benevolence should be none of your concern.

    And yes, I mentioned hoarders in my first post...............and yes, people hoard. And since it obviously bothers some folks, they just might be one of those hoardin' fellars............................I call 'em as I see 'em. A cheat doesn't like to be called a cheat. A thief doesn't like being called a thief. A liar don't like to be called a liar............................and feeling superior............wha? I'm the humblest person I know....................sheesh.

  2. Likes DrHook liked this post
  3. #122
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    995
    Likes (Received)
    1242

    Default

    This is 1/3 of a daily shipment waiting to go to Cabela's, they are over a million rounds behind on 6 calibers with no relief in site.

    img_1473.jpg

    this is a truck that tipped over on its way south from Montana a while back containing 50k lbs of ammo, I heard it tipped over at 10pm, pic was at 5am, a good portion of the ammo wondered off in that time.
    img_0263.jpg
    img_0266.jpg

    Its not that they are not making it.

  4. #123
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    159

    Default

    Interesting times.

    For all the hand wringing before Y2K I was still buying bricks of Federal .22 plinking ammunition for $7.89 a carton right up until the day the world was supposed to end. The ammunition shelves in that store were full every Friday when I stopped by.

    Something has changed in the American psyche since then.

  5. Likes DrHook liked this post
  6. #124
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    So if I don't send work to another shop, I'm greedy? And if I do and mention it here, I'm a braggart?

    Rutabagas? What? I only put cream corn in the food shelf bin.................... and my benevolence should be none of your concern.

    And yes, I mentioned hoarders in my first post...............and yes, people hoard. And since it obviously bothers some folks, they just might be one of those hoardin' fellars............................I call 'em as I see 'em. A cheat doesn't like to be called a cheat. A thief doesn't like being called a thief. A liar don't like to be called a liar............................and feeling superior............wha? I'm the humblest person I know....................sheesh.
    "cream corn"....WTF? At least spend some of your money hoard and at least come of with a can of your States most famous product. Spam. A can of "cream corn"...your family must be so proud of you.

  7. #125
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFrank View Post
    Interesting times.

    For all the hand wringing before Y2K I was still buying bricks of Federal .22 plinking ammunition for $7.89 a carton right up until the day the world was supposed to end. The ammunition shelves in that store were full every Friday when I stopped by.

    Something has changed in the American psyche since then.
    Well 20 years ago a mayor of a city might not actually direct law enforcement to stand down and let rioters burn and loot parts of that mayor's city.

    Stuff like that gives the citizens the idea that calling 911 and depending on police might be a waste of time.

    Upside is if your sitting on some of that $7.89 a carton rimfire your likely to beat the stock market average when and if you decide to sell at today's market rate.

  8. #126
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    You said, it not me....................
    If that's all you got out of it, I can understand why you're in your predicament causing you to snivel on an internet forum. Bless your heart.

  9. #127
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    3,419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    163
    Likes (Received)
    160

    Default

    If only I had all the .22 long rifle cartridges I bought and shot in my mi-spent youth. I would buy and shoot a brick of 500 a week for $3.00 to $6.00. I brought the bricks of Winchester Wildcats at Walgreens.

  10. #128
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1925
    Likes (Received)
    6035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garyphansen View Post
    If only I had all the .22 long rifle cartridges I bought and shot in my mi-spent youth. I would buy and shoot a brick of 500 a week for $3.00 to $6.00. I brought the bricks of Winchester Wildcats at Walgreens.
    No kidding............prolly 10-12 years old..............buddy and I would go through a brick each every chance we could get. Cheapo Blazer ammo for $8/brick. Sure could load the tube on that old 22 pretty darn fast. Really started goin' through lead once we got 10/22's.................10 shots at a time............but holy moley............once we discovered those banana magazines.............we were both Rambo. Burn through a brick before noon.

  11. #129
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    374

    Default

    The future if we are not carefull
    149283800_3785577351529058_8856564215129783328_o.jpg

  12. #130
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    Well 20 years ago a mayor of a city might not actually direct law enforcement to stand down and let rioters burn and loot parts of that mayor's city.

    Stuff like that gives the citizens the idea that calling 911 and depending on police might be a waste of time.

    Upside is if your sitting on some of that $7.89 a carton rimfire your likely to beat the stock market average when and if you decide to sell at today's market rate.
    During the run up to Y2K all the news outlets were predicting a world wide utilities stoppage when the software stopped working, all stores emptied in the first few hours by looters, roving gangs looking for houses/buildings with backup power to take over, highway bridges turned into checkpoints where thugs would take your supplies if you tried to flee, don't call 911 because there'll be nobody answering the phone, etc, etc, etc. But we still didn't get the run on ammunition and firearms like we're seeing now. Something has changed, I'm just not sure what.

    I sold most of the .22 over the next couple years to friends and acquaintances at my cost. That was about the time the tricked out 10/22s with hicap magazines started to become popular. Those guys went through it pretty fast.

  13. #131
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Longview,TX
    Posts
    1,038
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dupa3872 View Post
    I was told that Remington is off line because it is being sold!

  14. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Davidson NC USA
    Posts
    1,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    622
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default

    If you really need a firearm, nothing else will do. The only thing more embarrassing than running out of ammunition, is running out of fuel.

  15. #133
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    199

    Default

    On the topic of ammo shortages some might find this interesting:

    "We shoot approximately 400,000 rounds down range each month and the numbers have actually gone up a bit for May and June. (2015) Tourists get to shoot everything from Type 99 Arisaka's, M1 Garand C and D's, MP-44's, G43's, M2HB's, 240's, 249's, MG42's, MG34's, M-14's, Luger's, Swedish K's, M203's, M79's and you get the point."

    Post is interesting and relevant so some extant that they keep meticulous maintenance and reliability records on their "machines". Ranges described in the link are big party/tourist destinations.
    Some interesting info and pics: (page 37-39 is more current regarding the issues the range faces)

    High round count AR/M4's (over 100,000 rounds) and how they have handled on our range - Page 1 - AR15.COM

  16. #134
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    10,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1488
    Likes (Received)
    5368

    Default

    Just checked the other day on my ammo supply, 100 round boxes of 22LR I paid $3.49 for and that was at a little gun business in the back of the local run down mini mart gas station. I might have bought them a couple years ago.
    On top of the other reasons pretty sure the 22LR hoarding attraction is due to it is the lowest priced ammo out there.

  17. #135
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,838
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5855
    Likes (Received)
    6246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I'm so sick of ammo shortages. I just want some rounds for the kids and I to plink/target shoot/clays. Might end up canceling this year's prairie dog shoot. This time 'round is nothing like a few years back when Barry was in office. It's like the perfect storm. Ammo manufacturers got behind due to the Chicom Plague, then add in the idiototic BLM protests, and now the bumbling dope and his commie sidekick taking office this week. And then we got morons hoardin' like it's toilet paper. Sheesh..............just needed to rant a bit..........................

    One option for target shooting might be air rifles. AFAIK there hasn't been a run on pellets yet and the propellant is simply air.

    Adaptability seems to be the key in recent years. Some years back when there was a run on handgun ammo and prices became high I switched to target shooting with a .22 handgun for a while. It seems that for over 20 years now we have been facing periodic shortages of various items and even with a good supply on hand it can run out fast when new stuff is scarce or becomes super expensive. As far as the shooting sports go, "the good old days" really were the good old days.

  18. #136
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1925
    Likes (Received)
    6035

    Default

    Our Church camp had to switch over to air rifles back when Barry was in office................Kids still had a ton of fun..................I think they went back to 22lr in 2016............. I'm guessin they are back to air..................

  19. #137
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    202

    Default

    I simply cannot accept that the market is not artificially manipulated. Even the toilet paper shortage has come into alignment in a very short time.
    If Walmart had lines of customers winding around the block wanting Beanie Babies, Walmart would place one call to China and the problem would be fixed in short order.
    Part of the problem is that we have fewer manufacturers.
    I don't care how busy the manufacturers are, if there are not enough of them, they will never meet demand.
    In a free market, there would be new start-ups daily.
    I can only imagine, like so many other markets, it isn't free.

  20. Likes MichaelP liked this post
  21. #138
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    4,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    1481

    Default

    Foreign shipping is snarled up by the virus .......not the ships crews,they work .....the problem comes with pampered waterside workers .....some ports have 50% absenteeism on a given day.......this has caused a shortage of shipping containers ,as ships are in ports for weeks instead of 3 days.......So foreign ammunition producers are not shipping product at greatly increased freight rates......for instance a 40'container from China to EU has increased from 5000 euros to 15,000E

  22. #139
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post
    I simply cannot accept that the market is not artificially manipulated. Even the toilet paper shortage has come into alignment in a very short time.
    If Walmart had lines of customers winding around the block wanting Beanie Babies, Walmart would place one call to China and the problem would be fixed in short order.
    Part of the problem is that we have fewer manufacturers.
    I don't care how busy the manufacturers are, if there are not enough of them, they will never meet demand.
    In a free market, there would be new start-ups daily.
    I can only imagine, like so many other markets, it isn't free.

    The shortage of small arms ammunition is certainly not going to be addressed by "new start ups daily". Even foreign importation face significant lead times due to import approvals and transport. Ammo manufacturing ain't as simple as sourcing a stuffed toy.

    Considering the new administration has made promises regarding firearm safety legislation it's likely existing manufacturers are wary of investing in expanded production.

  23. Likes Scottl liked this post
  24. #140
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    The shortage of small arms ammunition is certainly not going to be addressed by "new start ups daily". Even foreign importation face significant lead times due to import approvals and transport. Ammo manufacturing ain't as simple as sourcing a stuffed toy.

    Considering the new administration has made promises regarding firearm safety legislation it's likely existing manufacturers are wary of investing in expanded production.
    "The shortage of small arms ammunition is certainly not going to be addressed by "new start ups daily"".
    Why not?
    It is done in every other industry.

    "Ammo manufacturing ain't as simple as sourcing a stuffed toy."
    Uhm… Yes it is. It has been going on for more than 170 years just for .22 ammo alone.
    If it were a I-phone in question, concept to delivery would be 6 months.

    "Considering the new administration has made promises regarding firearm safety legislation"
    The new administration has made no promises regarding firearm safety legislation, his promises were on controls and confiscation.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •