Ammo...........non existent like fairy dust........ - Page 9
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No matter how apparently accomplished and intelligent, most groups have a few Stalin admirers.

2. Likes SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yesterday right across the street was a yard sale . talk about a day late . house has been MT for about a year set on an acre of land fenced in few old out sheds . so i walk across the street to cheek it out there a few people there find out what the deal is . i go over the one of the sheds and this guy has about 30 50 cal ammo cans i ask him whats in the cans ? he tells me stuff . i ask him if i can see one of the cans ? he tells me i can open this one can . its full of 12 ga foil sealed 10 rd packs of shotgun ammo . to give you an idea of what they were pricing things at. i got two old u.s. made 1/16 to 1/2 drill sets a new snap on 3-12 lbs slid hammer a 2 lbs snap on ball peen hammer a industrial battery terminal crupper a new in the box atla knurling tool with about 20 wheels a bot of 50 small taps and there was more $20 later in the day i went back and dug around were the ammo was i found one new 30 rd ar mag one used colt 20 rd alum body mag a complete bolt a set of browning hi power grips a set of s & w grips grinding wheels and more another $20 so thay gave that ammo away funny thing is after talking to them i sensed they were anti gun . now the real funny part about the ammo back in the late 70's to early 90's my childhood pals dad was a range officer at the sheriffs shooting range at camp Elliott on the other side of top gun NASM NOW MASM there at Elliott was sattu a civilian navy armory there was a guy there that had his own ammo bunker with his own stahe of ammo from the government that he had been hording for years he was getting ready to retire . well long story short my pal and a greek guy wanted to do a hit on the ammo bunker and ask me if i would help this was back in about 85 my reply no way never new they did it tell a few years ago when he told me how him and the greek got a u haul van cut the look on the bunker loaded up as mush as the van would hold [a they did not get it all according to him] the greek drove the van to Texas sold the ammo used the money to buy a plane and a day later killed himself in the plane . now funny thing is this greek use to come to my dads gun shop he was a strange bird . oh ya that was his mom house across the street dam i have been here for 20 years and some of the booty was right there my pal told me the ammo was 38 spl , 45 acp , 30 carbine , 5.56 , 7.62 , 30-06 , 50 cal. and 12 ga. . you never know whats around you

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was at a gunshow yesterday. Plenty of ammunition and primers available, I guess, if you wanted to pay for it.

Primers - $150 to $300/1000
    9mm Win Ranger 124gr - $75/50; other brands somewhat less
    9mm ball - $40 to $45/50
    308 ball - about $1.50/round
    223 ball - $1/round, sometimes a little less in case lots.

People were bringing in ammunition and primers probably packed in the 1960s to sell at these prices. One guy had partial boxes of primers priced at 15cents per primer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    The TP shortage came into alignment quickly because the online sales sites blocked scalpers from selling TP at 10x normal price.....so far ,online sites have not blocked the sale of ammo and components at 10x normal price.As long as people are paying $1.00 a round for 22 rf,and others have access to contract deliveries that can be diverted to the lucrative scalper market,the shortage will continue ,and as the scalpers become very rich ,they may even further restrict supplies to push prices further...Josef Stalin saw this occur in the wheat market,and instituted a cure.
    ya but at what cost . we all what to think we are smart clever or what ever you want to call it but think about it this way you find a 100 bill on the ground and decide its yours i come up to you and offer you fifty for it you look at me like i am mad or a clown my reply is it cost you nothing your making fifty buck what more do you want ? what would your stalin do ? like the prof at collage tells your kids don't be greedy help the losers of the world then drive to his gated community in his land rover and fucks his intern that is writing up his paper for his latest grant good thing we all got this greed thing covered . now when you go to sell your house i want to buy it but at my price not yours cheers comrade

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I said Stalin stopped hoarding and price gouging......never said he wasnt a monster.

7. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still no primers....

Damn Stalin..

9. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFrank View Post
    I was at a gunshow yesterday. Plenty of ammunition and primers available, I guess, if you wanted to pay for it.

Primers - $150 to $300/1000
    That's insane... I reload and have managed to grab enough powder, brass, and bullets to keep me busy for awhile. I like doing load workups and long distance PRS type shooting. Primers are the ONE thing that are never available. When they pop up, they evaporate faster than water off of a red hot steel plate.

I have some, but I am tired of thinking about whether or not I should go shooting because I don't want to shoot up all of my stuff too quickly.

I just built an induction annealer so I can anneal my brass and reuse it more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since reloading is just hypothetical for me till primers show up- a question:
    induction ?

Tough to make?
    Batch size?

12. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The US primer shortage has somewhat to do with trade sanctions on Russia.....no Russian primers.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of the processes in primer making are pretty simple, except for those involved in making/using the priming compound itself. There is significant danger associated with that and it is not something for the casual user to get involved with.

15. Likes 1yesca liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
    Most of the processes in primer making are pretty simple, except for those involved in making/using the priming compound itself. There is significant danger associated with that and it is not something for the casual user to get involved with.
    yes right up there with working with radioactive material its not for the home brew types

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had an old boss that many years ago was a lineman at a munitions plant, stories he would tell about explosions with making primers ensure I'll just wait for commercial ones to become available again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A friend calls me Elmer Fudd with my bolt action rifles, and revolvers.
    But, it takes considerable time to go through a case of 22s with a bolt action rifle, and a revolver.
    Again, pretty hard to burn through the rounds with a bolt action 300 magnum.
    I so far have not really run out.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Speaking of Russians and primers . . . .could you get a decent import of Russian primers? The wolf / Tula primers are apparently very good

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
    Lindsay reprinted a book....and it showed how it was done behind a wall, with a 3 cornered
    rubber mat, and strings at each end, leading up to a pulley, over the wall.

The book said each string was pulled in succession, mixing the ingredients, and then a wiper
    on a shaft would rotate thru the mix to smear it over the primer brass's sitting in a plate with holes.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesca View Post
    you never know whats around you
    I recall when a neighbor turned me onto 11 boxes if .43 Spanish for my Remington Rolling Block. Price gouger wanted almost $9 a box.

.43-spanish.jpg

22. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just as a side note- ar parts like barrels BCG's etc are out of stock everywhere.
    It might be folk are in mind a change in laws is coming down the pike and they want to be in before the lock or something.
    Makes it a PITA and a friend of mine is fighting to find parts for a single build he is trying to finish up.

I has me wondering what to get as a range gun is the state shuts down the platform.
    6mm bolt gun or something...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a video of the Federal ammo plant. At 3:50 primer mfg is shown.

A Look Inside The Federal Ammunition Factory - American Shooter S1, E4 - YouTube

25. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a good quantity of military ammo and reloading supplies. Does this site have provisions for the sale of such items? All laws would be observed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post
    I have a good quantity of military ammo and reloading supplies. Does this site have provisions for the sale of such items? All laws would be observed.

I am in if you have some supplies- I’ll send a pm with contact information.

Thanks
    Last edited by Trboatworks; 04-24-2021 at 07:02 AM.