Any completed Gatling guns? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Letter from the B.A.T.F.E about 18 years ago.

It may be updated since the original message to me, I was merely quoting what was written to me. It was called line of succession. I can give to my Dad, Mom, or children... Cannot give laterally such as a brother or sister.

If it has indeed changed and you know something that differs.... I would be happy to have that info as well. As of this time in my life...

I won't need it.

Mick

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MICK 1958 View Post
    Letter from the B.A.T.F.E about 18 years ago.

It may be updated since the original message to me, I was merely quoting what was written to me. It was called line of succession. I can give to my Dad, Mom, or children... Cannot give laterally such as a brother or sister.

If it has indeed changed and you know something that differs.... I would be happy to have that info as well. As of this time in my life...

I won't need it.

Mick
    According to the ATF's more recent rulings, the only restrictions are that you can't engage in the business of making firearms for a living without a license. There is no prohibition on giving away home built firearms other than a recommendation to mark the weapon per ATF guidelines (serial number, name of maker, and city/state). The information is easily found with Google.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Agger View Post
    One other thing to consider is if you want to make more of an authentic model, I believe the D & E is the way to go. I opted for the RG&G because at the time I had seen some comments saying it would be easier to get working.

I bought plans about 10 years ago, and there were plenty of errors to work through. Here is a link to a list of known errors:

Some known Rgg drawing errors - General - Gatlinggunforum

My build stalled out when I had to adjust about 1/4" more than expected to get proper headspacing, making me think there is an critical error in the length of my frame, or cam housing. Also on the test fire, the firing pins would not fire the round.

So after ~ 700 hours of work I have this sitting on my bench, and I have not touched it in a year:
    Attachment 189969
    Don’t give up, You can get it shooting

28 shot - YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cbcues View Post
    Hey guys. I have the plans from rg&g and d&e for a 22 Gatling. I'm leaning twards the rg&g plans. I've seen the bolt modifications using ruger extractors, coning the barrels, ect..
    Has anyone completed one and got it to function reliably? What if any mods did you have to make to get it shooting?
    It seems a lot of the builds I've followed in the past on the GG forum looked awesome but were very finicky to get them working.
    Don't give up Guys, they will work

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never understood why anyone would stay with the .22 short callout though, the LR's should be more reliable at feeding, am I wrong?
    I load my own .25 ACP's on a progressive press so if I had time to make one I think I'd go for that over .22.

6. Likes Kleinfeldt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
    I never understood why anyone would stay with the .22 short callout though, the LR's should be more reliable at feeding, am I wrong?
    I load my own .25 ACP's on a progressive press so if I had time to make one I think I'd go for that over .22.
    Yes Sir , I do agree

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why screw around with 22RF? Just bump up the dimensions of the plans and go for 45 Colt. Or for those not equipped to machine one, put this on your Christmas list;

Gatling Gun 45lc Full Scale Live Fire, Nib .45 Colt For Sale at GunAuction.com - 14497468

9. Likes Kleinfeldt, partsproduction liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a very attractive price, many thousands less than I've seen others ask. How are they making them so cheaply?

11. Likes Kleinfeldt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
    That is a very attractive price, many thousands less than I've seen others ask. How are they making them so cheaply?
    That is a great price, must be some China in there.
    I like designing and building my own, that's my motivation

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might be tough to get a bite on that gun as the pics seem a bit wonky. Looks like it's on two or three different stands (different guns?) Some of the pics have been photoshopped, at least the backgrounds, quality on some of the pics is so bad it's hard to tell what's going on.

No other information seems to be with the ad and it certainly sets off a number of "red flags".

JMHO

-Ron

14. Likes Kleinfeldt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They have good feedback, 100%.

Expensive toy, but one that the pinheads will probably confiscate anyway some day.

16. Likes Kleinfeldt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:35 PM
    To: EPS Directorate
    Cc: Vasquez, Richard; Spencer, John R.
    Subject: RE: Scale Gatling gun

Dear Sir,

This refers to your e-mail correspondence to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) pertaining to the lawfulness of manufacturing a .22 caliber miniature Gatling gun (barrel length of 10 inches) for personal use. Your correspondence was forwarded to ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch (FTB), Martinsburg, West Virginia, for reply.

As background, the amended Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3), defines the term “firearm” to include …any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive…[and]…the frame or receiver of any such weapon….

Please note also that the GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(7), defines “rifle” to mean, in part, …a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder….

Further, the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. § 5845(B), defines “machinegun” as follows:

…any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. This term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

For your information, per provisions of the GCA, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution. Individuals manufacturing a firearm for personal use are not required to submit a sample to ATF for approval. However, if the design of the firearm were questionable, it would be prudent for such individuals to seek the advice of ATF prior to manufacture.

Also, based on the GCA, manufacturers’ marks of identification are not required on firearms that are produced by individuals for personal use. Nevertheless, ATF recommends the placing of marks of identification on these weapons at the time of manufacture. This procedure would aid law enforcement authorities in identifying the firearm should it become lost or stolen.

Generally, a Gatling gun is a rapid-firing, hand-crank operated weapon, having a bore diameter of .50 caliber or less and, as produced under the patents of 1862-1893, employing a cam action to accomplish the functions of repeat cocking, firing, and ejecting, in a caliber for which ammunition is commercially available. If manufactured after 1898, it would be classified as a “firearm” as defined in the GCA, § 921(a)(3).

However, if a Gatling gun as described above uses an electric motor as a firing mechanism instead of hand cranking, it would be classified as a “firearm” and a “machinegun” as defined in the NFA provision noted, § 5845(B). That is why electrically-driven machineguns such as the M-134 Minigun are firearms and machineguns subject to the provisions of the NFA. Frames or receivers of such weapons are also machineguns regardless of whether or not other components are present.

Based on the information provided, FTB has found that should you produce a manually operated Gatling gun chambered for .22 caliber, it would be classified as a “firearm” per the GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3). It would not be subject to regulation under the provisions of the NFA. Additionally, a hand-cranked Gatling gun is not considered a “rifle” because it is not designed to be fired from the shoulder; therefore, a 10-inch barrel, as you propose, is lawful.

We caution that this determination is relevant to the item as proposed. Any alterations or modifications to the design as produced under the patents of 1862-1893—which, as indicated, employ a cam action for repeat cocking, firing, and ejecting—would subject the item to further review. Also, we recommend that you to contact law-enforcement authorities where you reside to determine if there are any State laws or local ordinances governing the production of such weapons.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust the foregoing has been responsive.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I'm going to give this project a try. I have the R&RD plans and a very good machine shop including CNC equipment. I have a degree from Trinidad State in Gunsmithing, and just retired from Aerojet Rocketdyne making tooling for Rocket engines. Now I also teach at Trinidad during the summer, and if I can figure out the magic in building one of these units, I will teach a class giving the details of the build.
    Last edited by octbarrel; 12-07-2017 at 11:51 PM.

19. Likes Kleinfeldt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just another RG-G with a new look

Rapid Eject - YouTube